Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queenless overwintered hive.  (Read 3369 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Queenless overwintered hive.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 02:11:18 pm »

Nucs are indeed the Swiss Army knife.  A excellent metaphor by HP.  As Old Beavo suggest, nucs are problem solver for many a distressed hive.

I will have a nuc, made by split this week.  By May, I will have about 10 nucs ready to support my queen rearing operation.  But I tell ya, I am not good at over winterization of nucs in this area.  I have tried side by side for warmth, singly, double and even tripe high 5 frame nucs and old man winter takes his share.  So I just over winter over 10 frames as I have done for, Er eh, never mind.

HoneyPump, you always provide great advice, thank you Sir.  I will save this hive, as a backyard beek this my enjoyment of bees is working different solutions to create resolve therefore saving the hive.  The easiest was adding eggs and hoping for a queen cell but there is no mature drones for mating for another 7 days.  I saw the first walking drone, one, last week.

So, I?ll keep adding brood as needed or combine with a split this week.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:00 pm »
Overwintering nucs depends on their strength in Autumn.
If the nuc is really full then they will overwinter OK. These full nucs are tempting to add to a box to make a hive, but in the Autumn you are risking giving them too much room to take care of over winter.
Logic says there is not enough room, 5 frame nuc with 2 frames of brood that is already full of bees, should over flow but it doesn't.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 09:05:28 pm »
Overwintering nucs depends on their strength in Autumn.
If the nuc is really full then they will overwinter OK. These full nucs are tempting to add to a box to make a hive, but in the Autumn you are risking giving them too much room to take care of over winter.
Logic says there is not enough room, 5 frame nuc with 2 frames of brood that is already full of bees, should over flow but it doesn't.

Thanks Mr. Beavo.  I agree, my logic would prevail and I would make a 10 frame out of a Fall stuffed nuc.  I would be willing to winter over a 5 frame as you described, over stuffed with bees, brood.  This over winterization of 5 frame nucs is successfully done by many.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 05:46:44 pm »
Beemaster always gets me thinking. I just recently shook out a queenless nuc into the beeyard. It was a friend's bees. I should have had him transfer the frames into a 10 frame box and newspaper combine it with his other hive. Or added a frame with a sealed QC into the nuc.
It is amazing how many days a softball size cluster of queenless bees (I am sure there is no Q) will linger around the yard on a bush.
Something that I came away with from last years Beefest was the double screened Bottom Thanks Jim. Any way I have used them consistently. Queenless hive? still chilly? put those 2 frames on a queen-rite hive with a double screened bottom add a frame of open brood. VIOLA. Ive built about 30 of them out of old plyboard feeder tops. they are great for splits also, you cant beat them. Thanks again Jim.

anything