Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Kingman AZ  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Tom in Kingman AZ

• New Bee
Greetings from Kingman AZ
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:12:17 am »
Hi,
          My name is Tom, I'm a retired long haul trucker living about 18 miles east of Kingman AZ just off old Route 66. I have a really big garden and had to raise a ton of compost worms in order to get the soil to co-operate. Now I notice the distinct lack of pollinators. Therefore I am exploring the possibility of raising some of my own. They seem to be a good deal since they will be the only livestock I can think of that feed themselves AND give a service (pollinate) and a food source (honey). I am doing tons of research before I do anything. There is a fella about 35 miles to the west (Golden Valley if you know the area) that will help me get set up for what I think is NOT a lot of money. (Turnkey for $200). Right now I buy honey from him but the way things are looking 35 miles might as well be a million not to mention I still need pollinators. A friend of mine has an old Top Bar on his property but pays it no never mind. Until I know more I will NOT approach it. I do LIKE the idea of a Top Bar but I'm still a Newbie Beek so time will tell. I am also represented on the other forum (Beesource ) so as to get as much knowledge as possible. Thank you.
Tom in Kingman AZ
NRA Member
US PARATROOPER '64-'66

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Greetings from Kingman AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 12:51:00 pm »
Welcome and good luck. Get with your friend and see if you can spend at least a week working with him . if you go TB see if he has one you can work. See if he will go with you to check that hive. Make sure your suited up fully. There is Africans zed bees in your area. You want to check there temperament.  I prefer more defensive bees ie:  feral bees ( not afercanized bees)they protect there hives more.

John

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 06:46:22 pm »
Welcome, make yourself at home and ask as many questions as you'd like
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 06:32:44 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I recommend you follow John's advise. You will need a good bee suite. Do not get a standard cloth suit. Get the all netting type. Mann Lake has them for a little over $120. In your heat and with possible agressive bees they are worth it. I have never been stung through mine.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:24:35 pm »
Welcome  :happy:.

Offline Tom in Kingman AZ

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »
                             The fella that's gonna mentor me wears a top of the line suit. He is quite the hit when he gives seminars. He mentioned that his cost $250 or maybe I misunderstood. I must admit that after jumping out of airplanes for Uncle Sam bees cause me greater concern. I might have made a mistake but I have watched many many videos on You Tube of guys rounding up bees on other peoples property. I see some of them approach with NO suit on although when it gets serious many of them don a suit. Personally I don't need to take chances so I will NOT follow their examples in the beginning. Maybe NEVER for that fact. We had a hive of Africanized bees get disturbed about 4 miles from me in a sub-division right near their mail boxes and all hell broke loose. Many stings with one older guy succumbing to a heart attack which was attributed to the ordeal of multiple stings  and just the adrenalin from the experience. My other hobby is raising compost worms which is really safe. Thanks again for your kind words and I look forward to learning. As it looks I just might not take the plunge until spring unless my friend shows me EXACTLY how to get them through winter. We go down to "maybe" 25 C here so really bad freezing does not seem to be a great possibility. Daytime will come back up to about 40 C. I have ordered "Beekeeping For Dummies" and will devour it when it arrives. It might not have all the answers BUT it will probably let me know which questions I need to ask. Thanks again. BTW, how do I set up an avatar??
Tom in Kingman AZ
NRA Member
US PARATROOPER '64-'66

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »
I'd worryed about the high cost of the suit.
Google ventilated bee suit. They have them at different price and quality. Get what you can afford to then build up. Heat in your Area is what will turn you off.  I use myscitoe netting suit with my bees. But I know their temperament.
Beekeeping can cost minimal to extravagant. Depends on your mindset and finances. You do t need the best of everything to enjoy beekeeping.

John

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:57:19 am »
Welcome to the forum...suit up and enjoy. Beekeeping is sort of like dealing with cold weather...layer up and then peel off as you get comfortable. Until you know the temperament of your bees its better to be safe than sorry.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary