Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive entrance again  (Read 2649 times)

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
Hive entrance again
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »
I'm finishing up my long lang build and need to sort out the entrances. Upon the sage advice of capt44 I will be drilling 1 1/4" holes on the side for entrance. I have problems with stings and would like to open the hive from the back while the bees are at the front, not the sides.
My question is; in New Mexico's summer heat of up to 110 degrees and mild winters I was thinking of having 3 entrance holes in the center of the hive about 1" above the bottom screen, and another 3 about 3" from the top. The idea being that both the top and bottom holes would be open for the summer to give air circulation for cooling and moisture removal and closing either all, or just 2 of the upper holes for winter.

Thoughts and suggestions anyone.
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hive entrance again
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:27:05 pm »
Sound like a good idea. Add some insulation, with foil, in the top to minimize radiated heat from the sun from over heating the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:29:23 pm »
Thanks for the input Jim  :grin:

Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »
Glad to help.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin