Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bees  (Read 14937 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: New Bees
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 06:34:50 pm »
I think you have to have around 30 posts, then it will be turned on for you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 06:56:56 pm »
Ok. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 06:57:26 pm »
I?ll get there.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »
One day.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 10:00:33 pm »
Awesome!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 11:49:52 pm »
The videos are working for me now.  Really neat!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 05:30:44 am »
Hello!  Welcome aboard.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 11:37:38 pm »
Love seeing the kids along for the bee ride. I hope they get the bee bug too. Welcome to the forum.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 12:09:05 am »
Thanks to all.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 08:05:26 pm »
I?ve got some beetle traps coming and was planning on getting some formic pro unless there are strong objections. The nucs were fumed the day before I picked them up a few weeks ago now.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:06:16 am by .30WCF »

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:52 pm »
How and or whether to treat for mites is a hotly debated topic.

One of the first steps you may want to take before any treatment, is inspecting whether or not you even have a Varroa mite problem. 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:42 am »

One of the first steps you may want to take before any treatment, is inspecting whether or not you even have a Varroa mite problem.
They were fumed a couple weeks ago, so I?m sure they have been knocked back. I?ve only seen one mite out of two hive inspections. I?ve got good frames of worker brood, and very few spots with drone cells right now.
It?s not so much for right now, but to have on hand for later. I?ve got the alcohol shaker, but wasn?t planning to check them yet.
My style is going to lean more towards the natural or wholistic style of doing about anything I do, I assume this will be the same. I haven?t done a ton of reading on the types of treatments, but I want to stay away from things that you can?t have near honey. It starts sounding bad if you have too many restrictions.

Some of the precautions of the formic pro are off putting as well.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:14 am »
im a new almost bee 1year as of memorial weekend.i see woods with probable wildlife. if there are skunks about they will eat bees. the prevention is to raise  the hives high enough that the skunk has to stand up in order to reach the entrance.
my one hive swarmed 3 times i managed to catch 2 of them and now they are 3. :happy:

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:53 pm »
My plans were to go one more block and a 4x4 higher.
We have all the normal critters. Skunks, opossums, coons, foxes and coyotes. 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 03:09:47 pm »

Is there another method without chemicals other than breaking brood cycles? That?s the only one I know of.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 04:41:31 pm »
""Is there another method without chemicals other than breaking brood cycles? That?s the only one I know of.""

Yes, it's called buying bees each year.  Sorry, but that is about the only alternative. Your neighbors won't like that idea too well, either, as  your place becomes a varroa breeding ground and their robber bees take them home when they clean out your deadouts. Brood breaks help, but are not enough to keep the hive alive over the years..

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2020, 04:57:04 pm »
There?s a treatment that uses heat, called mighty mite.  A gentleman in the next town over says it?s great and keeps his hives going.  Costs  +/-  $300.

Concept is, it cooks the mites but the bees live.  Basically like pasturization.  But that level of heat also means good enzymes in the honey are eradicated. 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2020, 05:35:33 pm »
Does elevation, such as a shed roof or being placed over a concrete slab help beetles or mites,

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2020, 06:23:45 pm »
Full sunlight helps beetles, but not the height.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:25 pm »
Question about entrance reducers and upper entrances.

I have screen bottoms with bottom boards slid in from the back. There is a gap in the back between the bottom board and the screen.

What is the purpose of pulling the entrance reducer or removing a mouse guard if you have ventilation in the back or can trim the bottom board to expose a little more screen? Does the 2 inch entrance ever get too crowded to the point that they can?t deal with it? With the vent in the back and the option to trim the bottom board to expose more screen, why a 3/4 inch entrance when everything says protect your entrance?

If I need top ventilation can I just lay a penny on each corner of the top box and use the telescoping cover? Will they fill that gap?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:08:24 pm by .30WCF »