Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 11 of 11 hives on trailer dead  (Read 7047 times)

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
Re: 11 of 11 hives on trailer dead
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 09:20:49 am »
  Seems like sound advice LJ and my apologies for not responding, I was distracted.

Last year the two splits re queened themselves. When the Hive I had with package bees was failing I did try to re queen with a queen purchased from a local apiary but it didn't work. At first she flew away then returned and went into the hive, that was the last I saw of her and the colony steadily diminished.

I have a small yard and am limited to three hives, all are top bars. I read somewhere that putting an obstruction at the entrance of a new split would encourage the split bees to re-orientate and I did see that effect working but the numbers of bees would still diminish over time and I would just shake more in as needed.

There's a video of a removal I saw that gave me an idea for next time. There was a canoe leaning next to the entrance of the problem hive which was moved for access and during the removal it was noticed the airborne bees were locating at the moved canoe. It got me thinking they may use visual landmarks as well as the sun when returning to the hive.

My thinking is if I set up something like a sawhorse (always on hand here) in front of the donor hive then move it along with the split bees they may be more inclined to stick around the new hive. We'll see how that works out soon.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »
Bob,
The bees do use visuals as well as scent when they get close to the hive. If you move the hive about 4' the field bees will return to the old location at high speed and once they locate the new location Even though they know the new location, they will fly to the old location and do a S pattern to the new location usually until they die. If you smoke the hive you will see returning bees stop at the entrance checking it out to make sure they are at the correct hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 04:40:54 pm »
I had a swarm turn up in a hive that was in the workshop for repair. I moved them about 6" every few hours and eventually, after a couple of days, got them out of the shed.
In shifting I kept the entrance facing the same direction.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
I had a swarm turn up in a hive that was in the workshop for repair.

That's funny - seems like you just can't keep those dang bees out of your hair! Next thing you know, they'll be knocking at your front door :)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 10:09:39 pm »
I had a swarm turn up in a hive that was in the workshop for repair. I moved them about 6" every few hours and eventually, after a couple of days, got them out of the shed.
In shifting I kept the entrance facing the same direction.
My father in law had a swarm from his neighbors hive land 30 feet up a tree. Then it moved into a hive box that was a part of a stack of supers in his garage.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Duffydog

• New Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 10:36:18 am »
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I am not familiar with keeping bees on a trailer, as my hives are alway stationary. Forgive my ignorance but what is the purpose of keeping them on a trailer unless they are to be moved in a single day or so?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 10:51:08 pm »
Jim, Sawdust, do you plan to treat your hives for mites this year, 2018?
Blessings

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 05:38:42 am »
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I am not familiar with keeping bees on a trailer, as my hives are alway stationary. Forgive my ignorance but what is the purpose of keeping them on a trailer unless they are to be moved in a single day or so?
I put the hives on the trailer to move them from my old house to my farm. A friend lives next to large golden fields so I moved them to his property for the fall flow.
I built the trailer years ago to move them from my home in Jacksonville to my farm for the spring gallberry flow and then I moved them back to Jacksonville where I have good flows most of the year
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 05:43:40 am »
Jim, Sawdust, do you plan to treat your hives for mites this year, 2018?
Blessings
I have given it a lot of thought but as of right now, no.
I'm still not certain that the bees were not poisoned. I need to find out where I can get the bees/honey that I have in the freezer tested.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:32:54 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:44 am »
I'm still not certain that the bees were not poisoned.

Double negative so do you think they were poisoned or not?  Not clear to me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:04 pm »
Jim, Texas A&M test honey $60 per sample don't know about price if you are not Blessed by being a Texan.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2018, 05:29:02 pm »
Ace, double negatives equals a positive, but I bet you know this.  Crafty of you to catch double negatives, you are educated yet humble.  Your past text indicates to me your knowledge of physics or similar.  Your past post on infrared, spectrometer, refractors that is, lasers and comments on humidity or uncommon.  Good to know stuff.  Why NOT so UNhumble?  OK, I get the bad joke award for previous sentence.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:02 pm »
Ace, double negatives equals a positive,
Of course I know this but is that what Jim wanted to say?  That I don't know.  Which is why I was asking.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2018, 09:39:07 pm »
Ace, double negatives equals a positive,
Of course I know this but is that what Jim wanted to say?  That I don't know.  Which is why I was asking.

Ace,
I was trying to say I think they were poisoned. If I take out either negative it does not come out right.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 09:01:04 am »
That is terrible.  Especially when you had these bees surviving on no chemicals.  Thanks for the clarification.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it