Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CIDER, those mean ol' guns have help, don't they?  (Read 8328 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
CIDER, those mean ol' guns have help, don't they?
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:17:48 pm »
London became a bit more like New York City in February, but it's not a distinction to be proud of.

The city of Big Ben and the tube overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history as the British capital dealt with a surge in knife attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/01/london-murder-rate-beats-new-york-for-month-as-stabbings-surge.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: CIDER, those mean ol' guns have help, don't they?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:42:37 pm »
So, I guess they are going to have to start registering knives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
>So, I guess they are going to have to start registering knives.

Too late.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 07:40:31 pm »
Wow Michael,

That was eye-opening.

Reminds me of the saying, "If your only tool is a hammer, you will approach every problem as if it is a nail"

These kind of laws are born in a mentality of, "There ought to be a law!"
Neill

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:29 am »
I kind of got into modifying Leatherman tools for my personal use and ran into posts on boards where people from various European countries were modifying theirs to either have no knife or a very small knife, depending on the laws.  Their dilemma was having it for long enough to modify it without getting arrested... and here I was feeling sorry for myself because I leave mine behind every time I fly...  In fact, Leatherman even started making a knifeless option for people with those issues:
https://www.leatherman.com/knifeless-rebar-465.html?cgid=multi-tools#start=1
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:38 am »
London became a bit more like New York City in February, but it's not a distinction to be proud of.

The city of Big Ben and the tube overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history as the British capital dealt with a surge in knife attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/01/london-murder-rate-beats-new-york-for-month-as-stabbings-surge.html
iddee Most of the knife deaths are usually Black on Black gangs and most would say no great loss. I think I would still much prefer to live in London (I don't) than New York, much less chance of tens of children being gunned down in school or the odd plane colliding with a tall building!
yes, the city of Big Ben and the tube overtook New York in murders for the first time in modern history as the our capital dealt with a surge in knife attacks. But I don't think it will be long before it goes back the other way.
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:50 pm »
But I don't think it will be long before it goes back the other way.

Perhaps, but you already have draconian knife laws and they did not stop this.  It is certainly possible to kill someone with the allowed 3 inch pocket knife blade, but somehow I don't think that was what was used in the majority of these murders.

Since the majority of our gun deaths are either suicide or gang related, I am equally safe with our gun laws I think. 

Didn't you guys have a concert blown up?  And then there was the train, and the airport.....

I believe the takeaway should be that bad people do bad things regardless of the laws.  The only people put at a disadvantage by the laws are the ones willing to follow the laws. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 10:01:37 am »
> I think I would still much prefer to live in London (I don't) than New York...

I think if I owned New York City, London, and Hell, I would live in Hell and rent out NYC and London...
-------------------

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:39:47 am »
I have a step-daughter who has lived in both London and NYC.  She said London was more frightening by far.  She told me that in London the thieves target foreigners and they are very good at knowing even the subtle differences.  She had her purse cut from her in the tube.  Her husband (a Norwegian) was mugged twice, once at knife point and once slugged from behind.  This one put him in hospital.  All this in the space of 18 months.  They now live outside Oslo.

No matter the weapon, a scumbag is a scumbag all over the world.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 11:56:07 am »
AMEN, Michael.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 12:22:11 pm »
> I think I would still much prefer to live in London (I don't) than New York...

I think if I owned New York City, London, and Hell, I would live in Hell and rent out NYC and London...

Now that's funny!  Another coffee stain on my keyboard.  :grin:
7a - 1650ft

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 01:27:53 pm »
I believe the takeaway should be that bad people do bad things regardless of the laws.

And too many of these people are getting a slap on the wrist or a free pass.
7a - 1650ft

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:50 pm »

:happy: :happy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »
I should have credited Sheridan who said: "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell..."  Unlike Sheridan, though, I LIKE Texas...
-------------------

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 07:54:43 pm »
Sheridan had just spent the summer in South Texas while fighting in the Mexican War (or whatever you call it).  That can be one very hot place.  Just think of the uniforms they wore, no A/C, so on.  I'd say it was about like Cuba during the Spanish-American war. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 02:05:15 am »
No matter the weapon, a scumbag is a scumbag all over the world.

Hear Here!
Neill

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

salvo

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:54 am »
Hi Folks,

I'm not a knife collector,... more of a knife accumulator. I've habituated a few knife forums over the years. A forum BritishBlades.com was a favorite. Now gone! Knives are dangerous in the UK. There is some beautiful art out there. Some call it weaponry.

Another UK forum just implemented restrictions. This just on Sunday:

All

Further to the recent announcement on April 08th 2018 by Amber Rudd, Home Secretary, & her intent to implement the content of HO Offensive weapons Consultation, we have decided upon the following action to protect our members.

Until further notice, the casual access by guests & google searches is restricted.

Please take the time to log out & see the forum presentation. You will require a membership to see content. We monitor new membership applications.

This action gives us all the time to assess the implications of the Governments planned bill & how it develops into legislation.

In the interim, forum content is protected from the casual direct search & indirect search via search engines.

Keep calm & carry on.

Bruce, Paul, James & Darren

"Ich habe nur befehle befolgt"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:11 am »
I would guess that I typically use a knife as a tool a dozen times a day.  Did we invent tools and fight our way to the top of the food chain just to surrender our tools?  I've carried a knife in my pocket since I was 8.  All of us had pocket knives at school.  I never knew a boy who did not when I was growing up.  No only have I never used a knife as a weapon, but I never saw a knife used as a weapon, in my entire life.  I've heard of such a thing, of course, but never knew anyone who was attacked by a knife.  Apparently all our tools are now weapons...
-------------------