Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Virginia  (Read 2276 times)

Offline MideastHobbit

• New Bee
Hello from Virginia
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:45:31 pm »
Hi, my name is Tryg(pronounced Trig) and I am in Virginia. I live on my parents' farm in a loft apartment attached to their barn/shop. I have been beekeeping for about 8 years now, and have been a lurker on Beemaster(and other forums) for much of that time. In my best year I probably had about 30 hives, although right now my numbers are way down(only 5 living hives). I am currently in the process of moving all my hives to a new roofed structure we built last years, which I have electrified against bears. I am very interested in treatment free beekeeping, or perhaps better named minimum contact beekeeping. I am also in the process of converting to foundation-less.

Speaking of treatment-free does anybody know what is going on with tfbforum.com? There wasn't much activity to begin with, but now I get a Cloudflare error. Have they all caught Covid and packed up shop? I only ask here because I have seen Michael Bush post on Bmaster.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing a little bit about my process and some of the custom equipment I have built/am working on, and receiving your feedback.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hello from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 06:59:50 pm »
Hi MideastHobbit, Welcome to beemaster..Yes, Mr Bush is a member here. We have a section that you might interest you.
Topic: Natural and Organic Beekeeping. Check it out!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 07:34:28 pm »
Mideasthobit,
Welcome to BeeMaster.
If you would like to meet Mr. Bush, check out the BeeFest 2022 thread. He will bee here for it.
He has been keeping bees treatment free for a long time.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:17 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, Tryg!  :happy:  I too am a frequent resident of the Shire, and I am also trying to keep my bees treatment free/chemical free.  I'm entering my fifth spring with bees and have 4 hives at the moment, although I was up to 8 last summer.  I've been foundationless since the beginning, and so far I've managed to use only organic treatments on my bees, but ideally I'd like to be doing only IPM treatments of some sort.  I can't say about the other forum, as I was never a member, but perhaps when Michael Bush pops up you could ask him.  He usually appears about once every fortnight.  Hopefully you will find a new beekeeping home here on Beemaster!   :beemaster:     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 07:31:56 am »
      One of the best treatment free beekeepers. I know in North America....Kirk Webster for VT..USA

http://openbooks.library.umass.edu/radicalizethehive/chapter/kirk-webster-looking-organically-at-the-broader-landscape-of-bee-health/

Just Google him (kirk webster beekeeper) you will get many articles.... That he has written for :cry: bee  Magazine's ... He has spoken many times to EAS..
The Eastern Apicultural Society of North America, Inc

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 11:47:56 pm »
Hello,Tryg.
I am entering my 4th year as a beekeeper, treatment free from the beginning with no losses. Of course, I can only keep 3 hives and a few nucs in my tight neighborhood.
Welcome the forum. It is well run and full of helping folks.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:53 am »
welcome  :happy:

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:29:17 pm »
Welcome lots of great helpful folks here
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline microage97

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 01:05:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum Tryg!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
I haven't heard from Sol Parker for a while.  I'm not sure what's going on with the forum.  I'm getting the same error.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 06:33:10 pm »
  Michael Bush

If you're talking about Solomon Parker .He quit beekeeping about 5 or 6 months ago.. 

BEE  HAPPY  Jim134.  :smile:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:20:12 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Honey Hive Farms

• New Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 09:05:52 am »
Wish you well,, take care of those bees. 
Saving the world one bee at a time!
www.HoneyHiveFarms.com