Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nurse bees moving larvae  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Nurse bees moving larvae
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:01:23 pm »
So I have a seperate topic about a queen intro. Well anyways during my check today I was cutting out queen cells. I found two cells in the strangest place. I made nucs up a week ago this past Tuesday. I installed the queens Saturday. Today was the best day to check for release one nuc hasn't yet but is close. In this nuc I found two queen cells on a pollen frame. They were not capped and larvae weren't huge or anything.  But again this was on a pollen frame. This went in the nuc as a pollen frame. There was absolutely no brood on this entire frame. I think it's unlikely that there were two eggs on this frame when I put it in. Do nurse bees ever move larvae?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Nurse bees moving larvae
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:51 am »
I know they move eggs (think of laying workers multiple eggs in a cell). I see them removing dead larva from the hive. The bigger the larva is the more difficult it would be to stuff their fluffy fat buts back into a cell.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:58 pm »
They remove eggs and larvae, they do not move them. There was probably an egg on this frame that you did not see. It would be very difficult to check all 6000 cells that are on a frame for one egg.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:05:22 am »
I suppose it's possible. It's just unusual as those are the only two cells on the entire frame that had brood. Everything else was pollen/nectar. That's what confused me. That this frame had two random eggs on the whole frame.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

anything