Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broke comb on a frame while inspecting a hive (a deep of 10 frames)  (Read 1808 times)

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
So I cracked open one of my hives today to see if they were ready for a second deep. While inspecting the hive, one of the center frames was literally pouring honey after pulling it up. I'm pretty sure I somehow broke the comb. It was as if the neighboring frame was the same comb (shared between the frames), therefore, breaking the comb when pulling the frame. Honey was pouring all down the frame and into the hive.

I gently placed the frame back into the hive not sure what to do hoping the bees would take care of the mess I created. Did I do the right thing? Also, is there a way to prevent this in the future?

You guys are great! Thanks in advance!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
They could have built the combs out so much that it couldn't easily come out and that why it was loosing honey.  Sometimes they have it built out so much I have had to cut between the frames to get a frame out.  Nothing to worry about, in my opinion.   If you had broke the comb in a foundationless frame you can put a couple of rubber bands around frame and the bees will patch it a take the rubber bands out of the hive .

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Offline cao

• Super Bee
While inspecting the hive, one of the center frames was literally pouring honey after pulling it up.

Also, is there a way to prevent this in the future?
My question is did you pull the frame straight up with the adjacent frames it place?  The bees will make the part of they frame that has honey in it wider then the rest.  Sometimes making it hard to pull out.  What I do is remove one of the outside frames first.  Leave it out while checking the rest of the frames.  This gives you room to pull the frames sideways first to break them loose before pulling them up.   

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
Joe D, cao

Thank you so much for the info! The frames do have foundations by the way. I didn't set aside the outer frames. Will do for now on for sure.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
+1 what CAO said.  I take the three end frames out [one at a time] so I have plenty of room to see, move things and scrape some of the propolis off the ends of the frames. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
I agree with CAO.
Do not worry about the comb. In a few hours it will all be fixed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything