Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Figs coming off  (Read 6185 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Figs coming off
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »
Figs are starting to come off pretty good around here. Love me some dehydrated figs and some fig preserves. Mix a little bit of honey when you eat the preserves.., on man!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Figs coming off
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
one of my favorite things.  i went out to check mine and found the birds had been at them before they were even ripe.   :-\
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 03:34:00 pm »
My figs are long gone, but I got quite a few away from the birds. :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:11:28 pm »
My apple trees just started producing this year. I figured about 4 dozen or so apples. Not so, the birds actually pecked a hole completely through a couple of them and messed up the rest. I have about 3 or 4 left with screen wire around them.

We have a couple of different type of figs. My son has a tree over at his house that's probably 20 years old. I want to take a cutting from it and put some of that type here at my place. I had some that rooted pretty good but last winter took them out. Back to the drawing board.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:26:35 pm »
Our figs have been finished for about two weeks.  They did good this year.  We put up 3 cases of preserves in quarts.  Gave sister in law three gals of raw figs.  Gave son 7 gals of raw figs, and we have seven to ten gals in freezer.  Don't remember how many bags for sure, if I remember I'll have to count em tomorrow.  We have part of the trees we leave tall for the birds.  One tree is outside the dinning room window, we have eat super  while watching a raccoon in the tree eating figs.  We have several fig trees (8), not as many as we use to. 

Joe

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:31:15 pm »
I love figs but never tasted a big fig worth swallowing til last week when a friend insisted I try a white fig from croasia   best fig ever put in my mouth. and the great thing is he has a small one wid my name on it
to bee or not to bee

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 02:45:08 am »
figs are great. I wish we had the crops of them you people down south do. Or rather I wish I did. Still I do get to enjoy them plenty, so it's all good. Two words for you people with birds/etc. eating your crops. Bird-X Netting. It works.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:08 pm »
BtoB, I'll give that netting a try. This is the first year for my apples starting to make. Out of 3 or 4 dozen I may actually end up with a count of 3. Birds ruint the rest big time.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:35:33 pm »
I cover everything with the stuff, seriously. you can get it in huge sizes for almost anything and it lasts a number of years. so far for me about 7. I use it to cover my grapes, cherry trees, peach, apple, blueberry bushes, and veggie gardens. Signing up for a Amazon.com thing, I got a 50 x 50 ft amount one time for $1.97

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 11:44:36 pm »
Figs are starting to come off pretty good around here. Love me some dehydrated figs and some fig preserves. Mix a little bit of honey when you eat the preserves.., on man!

I have not tried figs mixed with honey. Sounds like a good combination. Thanks to GSF for posting this .

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 11:45:42 pm »
Our figs have been finished for about two weeks.  They did good this year.  We put up 3 cases of preserves in quarts.  Gave sister in law three gals of raw figs.  Gave son 7 gals of raw figs, and we have seven to ten gals in freezer.  Don't remember how many bags for sure, if I remember I'll have to count em tomorrow.  We have part of the trees we leave tall for the birds.  One tree is outside the dinning room window, we have eat super  while watching a raccoon in the tree eating figs.  We have several fig trees (8), not as many as we use to. 

Joe

Joe, If only I had as many blueberries!  :cheesy: :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything