Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who is first to try? Fully drawn synthetic [parrafin] comb  (Read 9574 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Who is first to try? Fully drawn synthetic [parrafin] comb
« on: July 03, 2019, 06:32:53 pm »
https://www.betterbee.com/foundation/bcombd10-bettercomb-drawn-comb.asp

I'm kind of interested.  Parrafin is a petroleum product, but, it's sprayed on most fruit & veg that isn't organic.  Betterbee claims it's food grade. 

My thinking is, perhaps 1-2 frames added per week would allow a colony to build up super quick because the queen has more room to lay - provided temp regulation doesn't take oodles of bees, and there are enough nurses to feed larvae. 

If it's used unwired, it's good for brood only, no extraction.  It could be handy for storing uncured nectar in a flow, too.

What do y'all think?

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
Re: Who is first to try? Fully drawn synthetic [parrafin] comb
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »
At $8.50 per frame, I think I'll pass.  I can see where these frames might serve a purpose to get a package up and going strong as soon as possible maybe.  Still, far too expensive in my opinion.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:32:01 pm »
At $8.50 per frame, I think I'll pass.  I can see where these frames might serve a purpose to get a package up and going strong as soon as possible maybe.  Still, far too expensive in my opinion.
Agreed. I don?t use foundation, but I saw this product on their email this month and I thought, That is insanely expensive!  I?m glad I don?t use foundation. I know normal foundation is much cheaper, but still. . . .
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:05 pm »
I don?t like the idea of putting petroleum products in my hives. On top of that way too expensive. They do not look like they would work in any of the frames that I use.
Na
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 10:06:37 pm »
Am I missing something? Isn't it better to just take a few empty, drawn frames in the spring, and put those in your NUC or swarm box? Wouldn't an empty brood frame be way better than this?

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »
My first thought is the perils with cut comb sales using this product. Ergh.
Sure for brood frames it may be advantageous however when cycled out in a super there?s wax contamination with cappings......

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:49 am »
Agreed. I don?t use foundation, but I saw this product on their email this month and I thought, That is insanely expensive!  I?m glad I don?t use foundation. I know normal foundation is much cheaper, but still. . . .

I don?t like the idea of putting petroleum products in my hives. On top of that way too expensive.

I agree with all the above.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:01 am »
?BetterComb is produced from synthetic wax similar in chemical composition to beeswax. The wax is a mixture of ingredients synthesized from mineral and plant sources.?

That doesn?t sound like paraffin.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 12:14:49 pm »
I am still confused guys. Why would anyone want to use this product unless they were a newbee, who is starting off from scratch without any drawn natural comb resources?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:51 pm »
I am still confused guys. Why would anyone want to use this product unless they were a newbee, who is starting off from scratch without any drawn natural comb resources?

I would just let the bees make their own comb. Let the bees be bees.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 01:05:55 pm »
Bob, some people use foundation in their hives.  Foundation is basically a sheet made out of beeswax or plastic that is stamped with the cell pattern.  The bees then draw out the cells into the 3rd dimension.  I don't use foundation, just seemed like an unnecessary expense to me, so perhaps someone who uses it will chime in as to the benefits of using foundation and why some people like it.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 01:06:56 pm »

Just a thought - Maybe commercial operations that want to increase honey production - building comb is said to use some nectar/honey that would otherwise go into storage .... (although this is believed, I've come across several writings that say this may not true - but it is still widely accepted).
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 04:00:58 pm »
Thanks, 15thMember. I do understand the purpose of foundation, and certainly am not against it. I was just thinking that introducing food-grade/man made fully drawn comb to "allow a colony to build up super quick" was a lot more expensive and artificial, than just saving a few empty bee drawn frames from the previous year for that same purpose. Sort of like putting some empty fully drawn frames in a bait box so they can immediately start rearing. I anticipate having this resource this coming fall when I reduce the size of the hive for the first time. However, I might be missing the point of this thread. You all carry on...

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 07:14:35 pm »
Thanks, 15thMember. I do understand the purpose of foundation, and certainly am not against it. I was just thinking that introducing food-grade/man made fully drawn comb to "allow a colony to build up super quick" was a lot more expensive and artificial, than just saving a few empty bee drawn frames from the previous year for that same purpose. Sort of like putting some empty fully drawn frames in a bait box so they can immediately start rearing. I anticipate having this resource this coming fall when I reduce the size of the hive for the first time. However, I might be missing the point of this thread. You all carry on...
Oh, actually I apparently was the one not understanding, I thought this stuff was foundation, not drawn synthetic comb. You are right, it does seem pointless. Unless there?s a benefit to it over those fully drawn plastic frames (which I also am not sure why people use).

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 07:16:33 pm »
I recently extracted a few frames of honey. This was my first spring that I had bees coming out of the winter as I only obtained my first hives last spring via cutouts. I have no extractor.  I was not planning on having any amount of honey to speak of this season. My goal was to split as many times as I can with the resources that I have available. However I did have a few frames of honey that was extra. .I viewed the post by one of the members here, where he crushed his comb. All of it.  This is something that I did not want to do. I checked out ways of extracting without an extractor and came up with a video which showed how to do this.  All of my combs are foundation less with fishing line for support. I was pleasantly surprised as using the method Which was suggested on the video. I did not lose a frame of drawn out foundation.  As per the video, I placed this back inside the beehive. Not only did they clean it up, but it looked excellent! And ready to go again!! Nothing wasted, including money for a cheap extractor. I would rather spend the money on one like Jim?s later when needed.

Oh yes, this was new, white comb to boot 🥾 !
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:52 am »
Ben...
1. I would love to see that video, if you will post the earl.
2. I thought you were a LONG time beekeeper. You were a newbee last year?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »
Ben...
1. I would love to see that video, if you will post the earl.
2. I thought you were a LONG time beekeeper. You were a newbee last year?

No, I am new to beekeeping. Got my first hive last spring via cutout. And thanks mainly to JP and Schawee and their videos for that, along with a couple phone calls they were very helpful. And thanks  to many here which answered my hundreds of questions here. Also thanks to many many video makers from here and around the world for answering my questions for what I have learned and am learning.  I am reluctant to give a lot of advise here, being lack of experience. I only give advise when I am confident in same advise with my on experience.
  I am happy to share the video with you.  I offered to post the video in another post and topic if anyone was interested. So far you are the first one that has shown interest. I am ecstatic at the results from start to finish and so simple a child can do it. Advantages and I have seen no dis-advantage. I (especially) was pleased to save my beautiful drawn out foundation!!  I think I deleted the video after I offered  to post here before. No interest was shown. I will find it for you and send it today. Wishing you the best,
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:05:17 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 03:37:51 pm »
Bob This video is by Don Kuchenmeister. He has been into bees his whole life. A very nice guy from Ohio transplanted to Georgia. As busy as he is he has always been kind enough to take time to answer any question that I might have had for him. I was a little concerned as my frames are not laid with bought wire  foundation. This method worked beautifully for me with my foundation-less frames. The bees has brilliantly incorporated the fishing line in their drawn wax foundation.  I do wonder if this will work as well with no support at all. The foundation was so tough sounding as I scraped the capping and honey off, that I tend to believe that it will work just as well without fishing line or wire as long as the comb is attached on all four sides. I wish the same good results for you! Let me add, I placed the frames back in the supers and was AMAZED at the results the bees accomplished in cleaning up and shaping these foundations back in order, pronto!

https://youtu.be/uuO_BdmvJsg

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 07:04:52 pm »
Phillip. I actually have watched this video before, and several like it. They are a practical encyclopidia of information, that earlier generations never had. HOWEVER, I wrote this off because I could not see how the scraping method worked with foundationless. Sure, I could easily scrape down to the surface of a plastic foundation frame, but how do you keep from going too deep into a foundationless frame, crossing through the middle of the comb into the opposite side? It seems I would accidentally scoop a hole all the way through. Is the layer of wax at the back of each cell thicker than the drawn out sides, and acting as a dividing wall between the two faces?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »
Good video Phillip. Thanks for sharing.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln