Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introducing queen bee without attendants  (Read 3311 times)

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
Introducing queen bee without attendants
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:30 am »
Hello,
I made my first 10 small mating hives and the first mated queens are "waiting" for my actions! I would like to know if i can introduce a queen bee in cage without attendants. Mating hives and queenless colonies are in the same yard, so there is no time of mailing and transfering.

Thanks
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Introducing queen bee without attendants
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »
Thomas,
Lots of breeders do not put attendants in the queen cage. When you get a battery box of 25 queens, the bees are not in the queen cages, they are in the box that holds the queen cages.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
Just yesterday I released a virgin queen into a hive that lost their queen due to robbing.
I placed her in the cage on the top of the frames. Bees slowly came out to check her out. After they covered the cage, I moved then away with my bare finger with no problem. Then I opened the cage and placed her on the top of a frame. Several covered her to the point she could not walk. Again I was able to move them off. She then was able to walk into the hive.
This hive was queen less for several days.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline heidi.k.cummins

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:10:36 pm »
We were able to requeen a laying worker hive by placing a mated queen into a push in cage. We did not shake out the hive. After 4 days the workers had burrowed under and we're taking care of her. We also used this method to requeen a hive where the queen didn't return from her mating flight. I highly recommend it, as the queen can start laying and emit her pheromones prior to her release and I believe has a higher rate of acceptance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:17 am »
>I would like to know if i can introduce a queen bee in cage without attendants.

I don't usually worry about it, but actually it is better to NOT have attendants when you introduce a queen.  Some people go to great lengths to remove them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything