Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whether carry or home protection - what do you depend on first?  (Read 15388 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Re: Whether carry or home peotection - what do you depend on first?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »
My first line of defence is the lock on the front door. Mind you, I often forget to use it.

My second line of defence is living in a country with minimal gun ownership, even lower rates of gun usage and very low rates of violent crime.

As a last resort I own a cantankerous cat.

So far, the only potential firearm victims  I've come across have been inept hunters with poor firearm handling skills. And I mean truly inept.
+1 (minus the cat)
In family Handyman about 5 years ago they showed what was a good dead bolt and how to reinforce the door frame with 3” heavy screws so it would not just cave in. If you seen the way most door jambs are made it is a good line of defence-Time.
Never point a weapon at anybody you are not prepared to shoot. Hold it low and when they cross your line in the sand you shoot them right in the leg, right where you are aiming. Do not raise it where they can get a hold of it.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Whether carry or home protection - what do you depend on first?
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:48 pm »
divemaster1963 said:

But with her diminished hand strength I got her a Taurus pt22 with the flip up barrel so she does not have to track the gun.

SAFETY QUESTION: if the cartridge chambered fails to fire, I see you can expel it, but don't you need to rack the slide OR drop another .22 in the barrel to continue firing??? That loss of time scares me, especially if the person is to weak in the hands to rack the slide in the first place.

It is a cool looking pistol though - love it inn wood finish, a little thick then, but purdee!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 06:50:36 am »
BeeMaster...The Taurus PT22 is a fine gun for a lady with weaker hands. Small, too.

Otherwise, the simplest pistol would be a small J frame revolver. They are just about full proof and jamming is not an issue.
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »
just keep bee hives around your doors. Burglars are afraid of bees. But I don't think carrying concealed bees is a good idea, though...
I have thought of posting a "Trained Attack Bees on Guard" sign, but decided that I wouldn't a very good Bee Ambassador if I did.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 11:03:01 pm »
The sign should read, "Africanized honeybee experimental beeyard".

An Arkansas farmer wrote once that he lost a cow a year to deer hunters. He posted all kinds of signs, electrified his fence, etc. Nothing helped. He then posted signs reading "Arkansas rattlesnake refuge". He never lost another cow.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 08:37:02 pm »
Iddee,
I wanted to put up the following sign but decided not to due to one anti bee neighbor:
GUARD BEES ON DUTY
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 02:48:52 am »
Great bunch of posts - more specific than I thought which is awesome - thanks for sharing.

A few points, one being carry. No we can't in NJ BUT IF I COULD, as much as I love my Glock 19 (15rnds 9mm) I don't have a set of clothes to loosen my belt enough for a In the Waist Band Holster - and I've bought enough "roomier" pants.

So, I'd go smaller or thinner, although I don't overly like single stack semi-autos - in many cases might as well have a Michael Bush revolver theme going. I like revolvers, only have the Ruger SP101 .22lr 5 inch barrel (well looks 5 inch) and what an accurate and fun gun to shoot - holds 8 shots. I did find that IF I miss a cleaning after the range, I start having about 15-20% failure to fire. The Ruger .22 uses a transfer bar to the firing pin allowing you to dry fire with no harm to the cylinder or firing pin as in most .22 revolvers. That's not only in their books, website, but from their mouths too - so no crappy .22 snap caps, dry fire all day if you wish.

But I'd likely go big or go home with conceal - small in size, big in power is ideal for carry - you lose the barrel length for speed and accuracy if your carrying a 2 inch barrel, but a DA semi in all manageable calibers 38s in a sub-compact is enough power, although I have shot (staggered shot) 38 and 357 and I swear in the revolver I used, they both felt about the same. But again, larger police sized revolver, not anything light those Star Wars like Ruger's revolvers - cool yes, but I'm sure you'll carry more than range fire it.

Oh, in answer to a question above Do you carry your gun to the door answer... depends! If company is on the way, I assume they'll be knocking. If it's light out, I have good visibility out my living room window above my door - but after dark, good window view or not, my Glock is placed just under the rear of my living room couch (bi-level house) about a foot from my left hand (I'm a lefty) and I answer the door with my right. It's 2 locked door between me and anyone - a chambered 9mm a foot away is plenty of security especially since they can't see it.

My feeling is "I never EVER want anyone to put me in a situation to use a firearm on them." That said, unless you are willing to use one to preserve your life, well then carry wasp and hornet spray around with you. I swear, there is no better CONVENTIONAL weapon besides a gun than wasp and hornet spray, having a 20 foot range to blind someone beats any pepper spray and you will blind them, a wound to the leg or shoulder heals, but they be blind forever. And sure you can have a cross bow locked and loaded, but unless this is the Hunger Games, you better hit home the first time.

So the question is, since I can't (legally) even carry pepper spray in NJ (it is a home defense item only) then wasp and hornet spray it might just be in the car! Always think like a cop - it's you job to get home safe at the end of the day. But as mentioned also, OBSERVATIONAL AWARENESS is so important - simple example, if you're parked near a van or suspicious vehicle, don't approach - set off the car alarm with your key ring. Let it blast, if there is a danger, they'll get out ASAP. And always lock your car doors when in it - people get ripped out of their cars every day because they never think to do it. And take 10 seconds as you are parking and when you park (even in your yard) to look around before unlocking your car and going in your home. You might just drive up on an invasion, or a neighbor chasing someone with a gun - all things to stay away from. The biggest safety IS between your ears, use it.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »
Spot on Beemaster.
My daughters roll their eyes when I tell them why I keep my home and car doors always locked and why I keep weapons handy at home;
"Last time I checked, 100% of home invasion robberies happen at home." and, "They can't carjack me if they can't get in."

In Utah, open carry is legal (though not real common), CCW is 'shall issue', and your car is an extension of your home, so firearms are allowed.   I carry pepper spray every time I walk the dog, and often a pistol.   I made the decision a long time ago to never surrender my right of self protection, therefore, I can't live in places like NY, NJ, IL, CA.  Too bad.  I hope some day you'll be able to live in a free NJ.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »
A friend of mine had a break-in a while back. 4 cars in the drive way, outside lights on, inside kitchen light on, in-laws visiting, heck - it didn't matter the perp was on crack. My friend made the mistake of going in the living room/kitchen area without his pistol. The perp had a knife and cut him a couple of times. He fell back against the fireplace and grabbed a loose brick. He told me he beat that guy in the head so much the brick broke. It didn't even knock him out.

I have plenty of long and short guns all around the house - and a well out back.  :evil:

GSF, when I was prosecuting, we were bringing a bunch of prisoners into court for arraignment and one broke away and got his cuffd arms around a deputy sheriff's neck.  I told the deputy I was going for his Mace (so he'd know it wasn't another prisoner or something), then emptied a large police-issue can a Mace right into the prisoner's face before he finally gave up the struggle and went down.  Turned out he was on heroin HE HAD GOTTEN IN THE JAIL and it took the whole can before he felt it.  It was like I had been spraying him with water.  They hauled him back to a cell and when we brought him back for arraignment later that day he was still crying. 

Even stranger is that until the weekend before, I had no experience with Mace, so I had sprayed a little on my finger and dabbed it on my face under each eye.  Just that little bit caused tears to flow like crazy until I used something to neutralize it.  So I was expecting it to subdue the prisoner immediately.  I probably could have shot the guy and he wouldn't have felt it. 

BTW, I think what I used to neutralize was baking soda in water.  A chemist might verify this.  So if you get tear-gassed, this might help.  And I don't think the jail did anything to neutralize the prisoner's discomfort.

So, yeah, I can see the intruder in your story being hard to subdue.  Some drugs just do that.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 07:34:13 pm »
We have indoor dogs that go nuts when someone pulls on to our farm.   Our house is 1300 feet off the road so anyone coming down to our cabin is either family..... or someone who shouldn't be here.    At night, if the dogs go crazy we know we have a problem if no one has called us first since we have no trespassing signs posted.    We then have an opportunity to greet our guest in a Ole Kentucky fashion.    In our case, a Remington 870 loaded with birdshot then 00 / Slug 00 / slug / etc.   

During the day when I am on the farm I carry a hammerless S&W model 642.   Hammerless reduces the chances of catching on a fence plus it is in a serpentine holster with finger release.   I have the first 2 rounds with birdshot for those slithering creatures my wife and I sole dearly hate.    (Lost a dog to a Copperhead several years ago)   The remaining 3 shots are Hydo-Shock for those 2 legged predators or coyotes.    Hopefully will never need the last 3 rounds!!!   I have 29 years with the Kentucky Justice Cabinet and my dad had 37 years.   As Ronald Regan said "Trust but verify".    I say "better to have, and not need, then need, and not have".    :wink:
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:09 am »
>- and a well out back

But why contaminate the ground water...?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything