Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot swarm.  (Read 1509 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Hot swarm.
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:44:50 pm »
Anyone ever had a mad swarm? I did. I seen they were swarming while weeding garden. Went over to see where they would lite. Got half way to apiary and they started hitting me hard. I got to the house and then killed all of them that followed me in.  I got my jacket on and went out again. They must have been about 200 bees trying to get me. Never seen a mad swarm. They even got the cat. I was laughing so at him he was running and trying to kill bees at the same time. Just wondering if this happens often. Harold

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hot swarm.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:23:53 pm »
Anyone ever had a mad swarm? I did. I seen they were swarming while weeding garden. Went over to see where they would lite. Got half way to apiary and they started hitting me hard. I got to the house and then killed all of them that followed me in.  I got my jacket on and went out again. They must have been about 200 bees trying to get me. Never seen a mad swarm. They even got the cat. I was laughing so at him he was running and trying to kill bees at the same time. Just wondering if this happens often. Harold

Beehappy I have not heard of this in a natural swarm of bees. When I was a boy in my teens, attempting to help My Uncle remove a hive of bees from a wood duck box to a hive box. (My basic limited experience with bees until Spring 2018 when I got involved with bees myself). Those bees were very aggressive to say the least. They came from a remote area, were very dark in color. Black or almost black actually, and VERY mean; But a regular, natural swarm as you found, in the process of swarming, No, I for one have not heard as you describe from a regular swarm of bees. Bisbee, Arizona comes to mind but the documentary "Risk Takers" I watched, said those bees were being removed or eradicated, which sparked the frightful famous swarm which was shown Nationally in the Documentary.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:48:18 am »
Beehappy,
I have had two mean swarms, one from a mean hive of my own that I just let them go after getting them in a 5 frame box. I didn?t put the cover on and they left. Another one was a swarm that could not find a home for 5 days and ran out of food. They were very mean, stinging people 150 feet away from the swarm.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 11:18:47 am »
A swarm will get hot if it's been hanging in a tree two days, and had to move food from crop to stomach. 

Maybe your swarm left the hive hungry and hangry.  Did they have plenty of stores?

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:04:42 pm »
Yes florida. My hives are all heavy as we are ending up our basswood season. I seen them leaving the hive so I am sure they were a fresh swarm. They were hot immediately leaving. I havent been back to the hive yet but the wife said she had to kill a few wasps that came in with me. There may be a chance a bunch of wasps drove them out. Dont know yet.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 02:10:27 pm »
I just went out and lifted hive lids till I found the one that is hot. Yes it is just a hot hive. They dont seem to bother you if you dont mess with the hive. So would you kill the queen and let them make another or what?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 04:48:07 pm »
I just went out and lifted hive lids till I found the one that is hot. Yes it is just a hot hive. They dont seem to bother you if you dont mess with the hive. So would you kill the queen and let them make another or what?
Since they swarmed, no. The hot hive that I mentioned was calm as can be after it swarmed. Never had another problem with it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 07:20:04 pm »
If they swarmed, the queen is gone and they have raised a new one.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 08:24:46 pm »
Hope it doesnt take after its momma.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 09:38:56 pm »
Hive aggression is mostly due to the drones genes, not the queens.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:36 am »
Depends if the new queen mates in the same area as the original queen did.
May be some agro hives in the district.