Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New nuc, First inspection  (Read 993 times)

Offline Bobbee

• New Bee
New nuc, First inspection
« on: July 06, 2021, 07:23:15 pm »
Well according to the guy I hired for the consult everything is looking good.I put the 4 frame nuc into one side of a brand new double nuc box added a box on top ( one side left empty)then put 2 frames of capped honey 1 of nectar and about 3/4 frame of that was virgin foundation. Based on what I did he said that it was set to explode and would likely need to go into a 10 frame withing two weeks.I still have twenty frames of drawn comb six to 8 of which have honey nectar and pollen He was at a loss as to why my spring colony (package) died/swarmed. It could have been tracheal mites but he said it could also have been....poison.A disturbing thought to be sure. Based on the stores left behind the bees were doing very well and the hive should be still going. He said  he was stumped and I had done everything right. Third times the charm...I hope 

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: New nuc, First inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 07:39:29 pm »
When people make predictions you can do the sums as bees have parameters and are dependent for growth on inputs to the hive.
You added 4 frame nuc, if there was 3 frames of brood they will hatch over the next 3 weeks. Yes you will have more bees, but enough for all the space you provided, maybe not.
The queen if the flow is good and there are enough bees to haul this flow in, will lay 2000 eggs per day. Her first day of laying will not hatch for 3 weeks.
So maybe the big expansion, everything going well, may not occur for 3-4 weeks.
Bees perform better slightly crowded rather than with excess space. Add extra space as they need it. if queen, flow and bees have not followed your script then the space is premature.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: New nuc, First inspection
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 02:21:25 am »
I agree. It sounds like the box may be a little early. Not sure what?s going on in Canada, but it?s too late to super here in the southeast US without a feeder.

anything