Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Farmers Market  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Farmers Market
« on: June 30, 2021, 10:04:15 pm »
I decided to register at the local farmers market, the organizers of the market explained that there was someone else also selling honey at the market.
Went down to the market today not to sell but introduce myself to the other beekeeper selling honey. He was there and I talked to him about selling at the market on the days he wasn't. Basically, he blew his stack and told me it wasn't done and if I was to go to the market he would leave and sell elsewhere. Yep, that will work as well.  I have been to other markets and seen more than one beck selling. My intention was to work with him not to undercut him in any way.
Anyone else sells at markets with more than one beekeeper at the market?
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Farmers Market
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:16 pm »
Only hearing one side of the story, I?d find better jars, a better label, and charge $3 less. Might even hire a pretty girl to work the stand depending on how bad he rubbed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:38:58 pm »
I used to buy at markets with more than one person selling honey. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 05:31:39 am »
We sold at 2 markets that had another honey seller, but these markets were 200+ stalls and so were big enough to handle 2.
We did have a good run when our opposition had a break for 3 months.
Try to make your self different, one market the opp. didn't sell 500g, only 1kg, so we sold 500g jars and squeezies, he didn't sell creamed or whipped  honey but we did. our 3kg buckets were $3 cheaper than his. In short we survived and did very well.
At  the other market the opposition was 10% cheaper than us but only sold one variety, we stuck to our prices but would take 4 - 5 varieties plus creamed and also whipped honey.. We would also sell comb honey. We took top quality wax in 100g, 500g,and 1kg. while he sold a dirty grey brown bar about 150g.
Quality and variety is a winner at markets.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 06:26:12 am »
I tried to sell at a large farmers market. They had two honey sellers and I was not allowed to sell there even though friends told me quite often there were no honey sellers when they went.
Another way to set yourself apart is to give free taste of your honey. We use crackers and spoons.  It only costs us 1/2 of a honey bear and the crackers and plastic spoons. We usually get a sale from 70 to 80% of the people that try it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 08:39:29 am »
What kind of crackers Jim?
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 08:42:01 am »
Saltine, you want a light flavor so that it does not over power the taste of the honey.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 09:13:05 am »
Saltine, you want a light flavor so that it does not over power the taste of the honey.

I have never considered this combination. Thanks for the tip.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 09:40:18 am »
I have to admit Jim, I'm suddenly motivated to try honey on a saltine!  :grin:
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 12:09:30 pm »
Only hearing one side of the story, I?d find better jars, a better label, and charge $3 less. Might even hire a pretty girl to work the stand depending on how bad he rubbed me.

I like the way you think.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 01:10:23 pm »
I decided to register at the local farmers market, the organizers of the market explained that there was someone else also selling honey at the market.
Went down to the market today not to sell but introduce myself to the other beekeeper selling honey. He was there and I talked to him about selling at the market on the days he wasn't. Basically, he blew his stack and told me it was't done and if I was to go to the market he would leave and sell elsewhere. Yep, that will work as well.  I have been to other markets and seen more than one beck selling. My intention was to work with him not to undercut him in any way.
Anyone else sells at markets with more than one beekeeper at the market?

Mr MCquilkin, I have not yet sold at the local farmers market. There are sometimes as many as three honey 🍯 sellers there at the same time. There are also, at times, numerous vegetable sellers, more than one sorghum seller etc. I would not be concerned with the fellow with the tyrannical attitude. If I was inclined to set up and sell, I would do so. If he leaves and doesn't come back oh well, those type people exist.    :cheesy:

Adding, if the official who runs the market refuses to let you sell remind the official of allowing more than one vegetable seller. You may need to remind the market director that honey is a farm product recognized by the US Department of Agriculture. :wink:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:24:58 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 06:37:03 pm »
Ben x2

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 09:44:35 pm »
Great replies everyone. The organizers have approved our application and we will be selling at the market. We will be selling Honey and any products we make from our colonies. Also, we will be selling produce also as my wife has a big garden. It should be a fun experience ill keep you up to date as to how it goes.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 11:18:19 pm »

I like the way you think.
That was a joke, but don?t put it past me.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 07:17:07 pm »
We do a 3 day farmers expo and use 2 of our daughters to help, both are very attractive and i tell you a pretty girl with a smile can sell honey. Even to some of the young guys who didn't think they needed honey.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 04:17:04 am »
Ha ha that's funny Oldbeavo.

I often sell at markets and do very well. Like any business there is always going to be competition.

Its all about the product...my honey being the "best in the world" raw, rainforest, clean etc...and as already mentioned I give them a tast of it and its sold.

Honestly, I dont think a dollar or two makes any difference. I am happy to pay an extra dollar for a quality product and I think most people are. People comment on the honey never the price.

Unfortunately I dont have any daughters to help me out but my 5yo boy is pretty cute when handing out honey samples.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 08:15:56 am »

Don't you dare charge less. Ever. Charge three dollars MORE. You'll sell more honey and make more money too.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 10:15:42 am »
Matt I think 30 was just kidding about charging 3 dollars less. A little humorous sarcasm I am thinking. 😊

I for one, understand the suggestion of not charging less. I had a friend who was a Farrier. He told me the more he charged, (Within reason of course), the more the folks seemed to respect his work.. quote Makes then feel good and fuzzy all over unquote . He said he suspected they felt like they were getting a higher quality of work for a little more money. He braggingly stated (and they are).    :wink:  lol

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 11:04:50 am »
We do a 3 day farmers expo and use 2 of our daughters to help, both are very attractive and i tell you a pretty girl with a smile can sell honey. Even to some of the young guys who didn't think they needed honey.
Ha ha that's funny Oldbeavo.

Unfortunately I dont have any daughters to help me out but my 5yo boy is pretty cute when handing out honey samples.
So it sounds like the ultimate marketing scheme is this: pretty girls to sucker the guys, and cute kids to sucker the girls.  :wink: :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 11:25:20 am »
So it sounds like the ultimate marketing scheme is this: pretty girls to sucker the guys, and cute kids to sucker the girls.  :wink: :cheesy:

Ha! Now we know how you and your sisters sell so much honey lol.  :wink: