Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite treatment, apivar question?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Mite treatment, apivar question?
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:52:53 pm »
I have never used apivar so I am looking for advice here...  I always used oxalic acid for mite control but medical conditions require a change on my part.

Question:  how many strips for a langstrof, typical 10 frame double deep do you use and find positive results?

Reason I ask is youtube has many videos in which the beek only uses 2 strips regardless of brood frame count.

Instructions note: one strip per 5 brood frames, up to max 4 strips per hive.  Use only After the honey extraction, use latex/nitrile gloves, space at least 2 frames apart, etc.

Ok, Apivar users, I need some input.  Thank you.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Mite treatment, apivar question?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 11:45:05 am »
Apply based on size of the population. 1 strip per 5 frames of BEES.  Place the strip(s) in the middle of the cluster where the nurse bees are working. ApiVar is a contact treatment. The bees have to walk on and rub on the strips for it to work. The position of the bees may be offset in the box(es) depending on where the nest is. When the lid is lifted or boxes split or hive is tipped, the beekeeper can determine where that is, and that is where to place the strips.
Other than that tip, using ApiVar is quite straight forward and trouble free. You will notice the bees will carve a groove in the wax where the strip is.  That is so they can walk around it between the frames. See that is a good thing. It means the strip is in the right place and that the bees are in contact with it as designed. The groove does not affect anything other than aesthetics. 
Watch this video. 
https://youtu.be/pCq_Pu1iFeo
You may, and should, consider to occasionally switch it up, including use of oxalic. To get away from the hazards of vapor method, you could use the dribble method which is also very effective.
https://youtu.be/Sp-9eD3Sgww

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:01:10 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Mite treatment, apivar question?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 04:02:24 pm »
Thanks Mark and HP.  Ill install next Saturday, remove strips end of July which wiil be 6 weeks.  Then in August apply oxalic acid vapor.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 02:39:40 pm »
I used last year July after harvest.  I did 2 in each deep on doubles.  Left for recommended amount of time and washed zero mites at the end.  I do that then hammer in December with OA. 

Some commercial guys have stated having issues with Apivar lately and are transitioning away from it. 

Kamon Reynold of Tennessee Bees is doing a ?test yard? with multiple different treatments.  I?m curious to see the results from that.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »
I used last year July after harvest.  I did 2 in each deep on doubles.  Left for recommended amount of time and washed zero mites at the end.  I do that then hammer in December with OA. 

Some commercial guys have stated having issues with Apivar lately and are transitioning away from it. 

Kamon Reynold of Tennessee Bees is doing a ?test yard? with multiple different treatments.  I?m curious to see the results from that.

I am interested in his results as well. I do not know the details of his test, but if he stared a special test yard built by moving in test hives with a shared close to equal amount of mites per 100 bees per hive, according to mite washes, it would be even the more interesting when the results do come in.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything