Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you plant for your bees?  (Read 4610 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Re: Do you plant for your bees?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 12:01:29 pm »
You're not the first to think of that.   Great read, with examples.

https://www.honeybeesuite.com/what-is-ethical-beekeeping/

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 12:16:08 pm »
You're not the first to think of that.   Great read, with examples.

https://www.honeybeesuite.com/what-is-ethical-beekeeping/
I was literally just about to post that!  You beat me to it. :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 12:47:25 pm »
Definition of a weed... a plant that grows where you don't want it to grow.
I think some of the wildflower mixes are tough, reseeding perennials that blur the line between flower and weed. Nevertheless, I have been tempted to don dark colored clothes, and at night sneak through the surrounding community sowing seeds under power line thoroughfares and untended lots.
  A few years back I sowed my 12-acre property with crimson clover, white dutch clover, yellow clover, and white clover. Did this for 3 years in a row as the crimson-only flowers every other year. I Walked the roads around the neighborhood and seeded the sides of the roads in all ditches. My next-door neighbor Dave commented how there use to be lots of clover on his property but not so much now. One day When I was bored I went for a walk around his property with my hand seeder, the following year both properties bloomed so well we had people driving by to look at the bloom.  Dave said to me not sure where all that clover came from, I explained that the birds must have eaten all the seed on my property and craped them all over his
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2021, 10:09:36 am »
Good read, Florida and 15.
I have also found the following ethics statement to be of great help in beekeeping.
 "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" It keeps my temptations in check, and keeps me ethical in a great many things, including beekeeping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 07:23:05 pm »
I think the info that is missing from this post is; how many hives are you trying to feed from your plantings?
2 or 3 hives go for it , 10+ hives maybe, 20+ hives you are talking acres of plantings and spread seasonally. Otherwise its only a snack on the way to Macca's.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 11:20:40 pm »
I think the info that is missing from this post is; how many hives are you trying to feed from your plantings?
2 or 3 hives go for it , 10+ hives maybe, 20+ hives you are talking acres of plantings and spread seasonally. Otherwise its only a snack on the way to Macca's.
Number of hives was an intentional omission. My interest is specifically aimed at anyone who has done, or currently does cultivate ag specifically for their bees. Regardless of the number of hives or the size of the ag.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 12:11:49 pm by AustinB »
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2021, 02:24:10 pm »
Great video!

Trees it is!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2021, 02:36:47 pm »
Number of hives was an intentional omission. My interest is specifically aimed at anyone who has done, or currently does cultivate ag specifically for their bees. Regardless of the number of hives or the size of the ag.

Austin their is a fellow in Canada that purposely plants things for his bees. He and his family run a three part, large Ag farm.  Crops, Cattle, and Bees/Honey. Ian Steppler has a youtube channel and post short videos regularly of his day to day experiences about his bees and farm life. I might be wrong and confusing his bee operation with someone else but best to my recollection he has thousands of hives.

Last year he posted of plants purposely planted in spaces between his fields, especially for the intention of boosting pollen and nectar when his regular crops are not in season for such. I do not remember what plants he planted but he was very happy with the results and expressed so in his video. I will try and find if for you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 10:56:35 pm »
Ben - Sounds awesome. I?ll have to do some searching. If you find anything further on him I?d love to see it, thanks!
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 11:39:49 pm »
I live by 2 sayings:
1) 5% of the people think. 10% of people think that they "think". The other 85% would rather die, than think.
2) if you make people "think" that they're thinking, they will love you. But, if you ACTUALLY make them think, they will hate you.

CoolBees my friend; In many cases you might be very close to being right! :shocked: :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything