Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small...I mean tiny critters in our hives  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Small...I mean tiny critters in our hives
« on: October 20, 2019, 12:25:24 pm »
Fortunately where I am we really don?t have to deal with SHB.  There is however a couple other critters we do have. 

One I know is the earwig but those appear to be pretty benign. 

The other is so small I?m not really sure what it is. When I say small I mean small.  The only way you can really see them is when they move....usually cluster around things like mold in the corners or under the top where it meets the inner cover.

I don?t think these are a problem but just curious as to what they might be.  I don?t have a pic.
You are what you think.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Small...I mean tiny critters in our hives
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
Lots of little tiny critters coexist in and around the beehive.  Most are symbiotic.  You could scoop some of what you see into a small jar with alcohol then examine them under a magnifying glass to try figuring out what they are.
Will usually find they are some form of cleanup crew.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Critter I have seen in around hive:
- varroa mite
- bee louse
- spider mites, and other tiny plant mites, hitch rides back from flower on forager bees
- very tiny ants
As a few examples
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 03:54:18 pm »

Very tiny clear, little critter on propolis/wax.  The insect in on the bottom.  The critter has long hairs and the head and eyes, NE bearly visible.  The critter is about the diameter of the honey bee antennae. 
Van
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:10:48 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:16 pm »
My guess is that you are treatment free.  Otherwise your mite treatmens would have killed them...

There are over 750 species of mites that live in a bee colony or on bees.
http://bushfarms.com/beesmites.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
My guess is that you are treatment free.  Otherwise your mite treatmens would have killed them...

There are over 750 species of mites that live in a bee colony or on bees.
http://bushfarms.com/beesmites.htm

Not treatment free.  We use a combination of Apivar and OAV.  These guys seems to be on the very top under the cover or on the bottom board.  As stated above I?m starting to think these are a cleanup crew.

Thanks for the info
You are what you think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 06:53:35 pm »
My bet is that they are tiny ants. I see them in my observation hive as well as in my main hives. I have been told they damage the wood.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 08:21:48 pm »
My bet is that they are tiny ants. I see them in my observation hive as well as in my main hives. I have been told they damage the wood.
Jim Altmiller

I wish I could get a photo of them. They definitely are not ants. These things are tiny tiny tiny. You could probably fit 20-30 of them on a head of a pin.
You are what you think.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 10:01:49 am »
Jim Altmiller

What?s your obs hive look like please?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 10:57:17 am »
Jim Altmiller

I wish I could get a photo of them. They definitely are not ants. These things are tiny tiny tiny. You could probably fit 20-30 of them on a head of a pin.

Aroc, what color are the critters, are the critters on the certain frames or specific areas of the hive?  Is there any attributes such as webbing, tunnels, or molding, especially  black molding?

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 01:54:27 am »
Jim Altmiller

Aroc, what color are the critters, are the critters on the certain frames or specific areas of the hive?  Is there any attributes such as webbing, tunnels, or molding, especially  black molding?

Blessings

Black/greyish.  No, slime, no webbing, or anything like that.  They tend to be under the cover or on the bottom board. 
You are what you think.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 02:39:10 am »
Jim Altmiller

Blessings

Black/greyish.  No, slime, no webbing, or anything like that.  They tend to be under the cover or on the bottom board.

Just curious, can you take a picture through a magnifying glass and post here?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 05:23:02 pm »
Aroc, LOCATION OF CRITTERS: under the cover or bottom board.

Ok, if the critters are located as described then I would bet they are not a threat and just peacefully living in the hive as somewhat of a controlled environment.  On brood/honey frames the critters would get my attention.  Just a guess, what do I know?