Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Deer and my hive suit  (Read 5614 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Deer and my hive suit
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:50:40 pm »
Every year about this time I'll be working the hives and deer will walk thru the bee yard or nearby and act as if I were part of the landscape.  I wear my cowboy hat veil I purchased at Beez Needz or my white bee jacket.  Either way, they show little concern, a little curiosity.  Anyone else experienced the same?  I'm almost tempted to hunt in my bee suit.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Deer and my hive suit
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:40:50 pm »
Fellow I knew had his tree  stand by his hives , he swore it was great cover sent.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:43 pm »
Every year about this time I'll be working the hives and deer will walk thru the bee yard or nearby and act as if I were part of the landscape.  I wear my cowboy hat veil I purchased at Beez Needz or my white bee jacket.  Either way, they show little concern, a little curiosity.  Anyone else experienced the same?  I'm almost tempted to hunt in my bee suit.

I am going to take a guess, one thing is you are probably using smoke and you human scent is most likely muted?  This is a real plus. Another thing could be that the veil may have something to do with it?  Perhaps breaking you silhouette to some degree?  One thing for sure they are not as cautious.. This is interesting Jvalentour.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:15:04 pm »
I would hazard a guess that it because your Bee Suit is blocking your body's electrical signal - which the deer can see ... (unless you learn to turn it off).

With that said, I may well be wrong - it might be something that "science" has yet to figure out. The deer at my house will let me walk near, and talk to them, near the beehives, without a suit, veil, or jacket ... maybe the bees communicate a sense of calm (knowing thier beek) and the deer can read it ... I dunno ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 10:21:55 pm »
I would hazard a guess that it because your Bee Suit is blocking your body's electrical signal - which the deer can see ... (unless you learn to turn it off).

With that said, I may well be wrong - it might be something that "science" has yet to figure out. The deer at my house will let me walk near, and talk to them, near the beehives, without a suit, veil, or jacket ... maybe the bees communicate a sense of calm (knowing thier beek) and the deer can read it ... I dunno ...

You might be right, I have heard of the bodies electrical signal talked about among my hunter friends. If I was still hunting, I would check into this further. Good answer Alan. Good to see your posting, its been a while.
Phillip
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:21:48 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:42 pm »
.... Good answer Alan. Good to see your posing, its been a while.
Phillip

Thanks Phillip. It's good to be back - sort of. ... I took the Stick-Slinger on a Walkabout. ... I always want to stay, but life's demands pull us back.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:49 pm »
.... Good answer Alan. Good to see your posing, its been a while.
Phillip

Thanks Phillip. It's good to be back - sort of. ... I took the Stick-Slinger on a Walkabout. ... I always want to stay, but life's demands pull us back.

Did you go on that trip with your son? I am thinking that you had mentioned a while back that you each had drawn tags. 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:03:25 am »
Totally a guess here, but Phillip?s comment about the veil and the silhouette gave me an idea. Mammals? brains are wired to find faces, and I have learned since my family got goats that prey animals are sensitive to heavy eye contact, since stalking predators obviously display that. Perhaps since the veil masks your face, they don?t think you are looking at them, and therefore don?t really view you as a threat.  Again, just brainstorming, no idea if that?s correct or not.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 12:50:46 am »
Totally a guess here, but Phillip?s comment about the veil and the silhouette gave me an idea. Mammals? brains are wired to find faces, and I have learned since my family got goats that prey animals are sensitive to heavy eye contact, since stalking predators obviously display that. Perhaps since the veil masks your face, they don?t think you are looking at them, and therefore don?t really view you as a threat.  Again, just brainstorming, no idea if that?s correct or not.

Could be a combination of all the above?  I love nature as I feel certain that each of us who have responded here do as well.
Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 08:32:43 am »
Member,
There is a good chance that masking the face, mainly the eyes, has something to do with it.
Many years ago I was hunting in a tree climber stand over looking a small pond. I got into the stand before sunrise and ducks would land in the pond below me. As soon as I looked at them they would fly off. In a few minutes more would arrive. Again as soon as I looked at them they took off. I had a camouflage mask on but nothing over the eyes. I found that if I squinted they could not see my eyes and stayed in the pond below me. Every time I opened my eyes they took off. I learned a lot that day from those ducks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 08:44:50 am »
Bee hives have a pleasant smell.  Gun oil and powder don't.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 12:37:13 pm »
Bee hives have a pleasant smell.  Gun oil and powder don't.

Depends on who you ask, I think. I find the smell of Powder and Oil to be quite pleasing.  :cool:

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 02:49:09 pm »
I agree with masking the face, deer probably can't see my eyes.  I use the smoker, but I don't know how much that affects my human smell, I haven't washed my bee jacket this year....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 04:05:39 pm »
I've always had better luck deer hunting when I smell like smoke... like camping in a tipi.  I used to do all of the special soaps and even being a vegatarian for a few days before deer season, but none of that ever seemed to matter much.  I also pick up things with smell along the way and stuff them in my pockets.  Things like Juniper or Cedar or Sage.  I have also noticed the looking thing but always assumed they could just feel me looking at them.  If they have their back to you and you stare they will turn around and look... but maybe part of that, when they are facing you, is that they pick out your eyes...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 03:50:15 pm »
It was a normal thing for deer to look up at me and then continue grazing when I would go out in early morning to pull corn before heading to the market. If they'd said "hi" it wouldn't have surprised me.  Have always felt awe, that it is a gift to be so close to nature.

Offline KiserWatch

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 06:08:21 am »
That sounds interesting. Maybe the reindeer don't feel you are any danger to them. Maybe they think your land is theirs. Usually deer are really skittish, but trust me, if you pull out a gun, even in a suit, they'll smell danger. I think you should just enjoy their presence and feed them. The frost is coming soon and it's going to be hard for them. I've read a lot about reindeer on forums and https://campingfunzone.com/2021/07/24/deer-3/, but I've never seen them in person. I would love to be in your shoes.

anything