Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: County extension answered my request for land use  (Read 1852 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
County extension answered my request for land use
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:54:32 pm »
Her Email-
Currently, hives are not allowed on County preserves, as European Honey Bees indiscriminately pollinate a lot of our invasive species (Brazilian Pepper is a major pollen source for them).  There is also a bit of a liability issue, even though the European stock is pretty docile, and allergies to honey bees are pretty rare (more people who think they are allergic to bees are actually allergic to wasps/hornets, etc.), people may still mess with the hives and get stung.  I know many successful entities that are keeping honey bees, and I haven?t heard of any issues with them.

Right now though we have been focusing more on providing native bee roosts on our sites and are having some success around the Lakela?s mint populations, the goals would be to provide for native bees over exotic species.

I?m going to leave it there and not ask her where feral bees came from
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: County extension answered my request for land use
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
Good that you tried Barefoot.  Sorry the extension agent, would not cooperate, not surprised though. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:12:49 pm »
Salty,
Duvall County has a garden that is run by the extension office. Jacksonxille Beekeeper Club keeps up to 4 hives on site with full support of the extension office. We even added a building to store our bee equipment.
Maybe you can use this information during your next conversation with your agent. Florida fully supports Beekeeping, especially hobbyists. The state installed laws that prohibit local agencies from outlawing Beekeeping.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:27:44 am »
I?m going to leave it there and not ask her where feral bees came from
IIRC, there are something like 400 species of bees native to the US. Feral honey bees are not native bees, so they are technically an invasive species, competing with the native bees. Her response makes sense from that perspective, even if you or I would have preferred to hear otherwise.

Offline Will C.

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:03 am »
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=1544
how could anyone prove honeybees aren?t native to u.s.?
most folks just parrot what they?ve heard or read.....

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:23:38 am »
Even if honey bees are native, non-honey bees are in need of far more ecological help than the semi-domesticated honey bee. Check out the article ?You?re Worrying About the Wrong Bees? from Wired. I?d post the link but Wired lets non-subscribers access only one article a month and I can?t access it right now.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:43:19 am »
From your link, "Fact is, the honey bee lived here, but it did not survive." Ok, from the fossil record, we know at least one honey bee died in the Americas millions of years ago ...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:56:41 am »
European humans are an exotic species.  They have crowded out the native humans.  When are we going to start sending them back to Europe?  Obviously honey bees are here to stay as are all of those other exotic species of plants.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »
European humans are an exotic species.  They have crowded out the native humans.  When are we going to start sending them back to Europe?  Obviously honey bees are here to stay as are all of those other exotic species of plants.
Agreed.

Even if honey bees are native, non-honey bees are in need of far more ecological help than the semi-domesticated honey bee.
This too.

Honey bees don't need to be everywhere, just like cattle don't.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:50:18 pm »
Salty,
Duvall County has a garden that is run by the extension office. Jacksonxille Beekeeper Club keeps up to 4 hives on site with full support of the extension office. We even added a building to store our bee equipment.
Maybe you can use this information during your next conversation with your agent. Florida fully supports Beekeeping, especially hobbyists. The state installed laws that prohibit local agencies from outlawing Beekeeping.
Jim Altmiller

I think there is still a disconnect and misinformation between state and county regarding the states dynamic interest in maintaining a viable honey bee pollinating species.
I?m thinking of forwarding the locals email to Cathy at the state to see if my county couldn?t use a little edumacation or directive help - my club also has hives on the state land UF uses in Fort Pierce for agricultural research.
That?s 10 minutes away. Kinda flys in the face of that answer I received
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

anything