Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Question
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:28:02 pm »
It?s been 4 days since I installed my package. I went in this afternoon. Queen is out. I put the cage in between the two center frames. I think I should?ve turned the cage differently. They are drawing comb but it?s wider than I think it should be. I guess because of the big gap caused by the Q cage. It?s mainly around where the cage was. When I side the two frames together there is a 1/4 to 3/8 gap between the end bars. Should I just leave those two frames like that and make sure all the other ones are spaced correctly?  I didn?t stay in long. Saw the Queen and some pollen and nectar.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:37:12 pm »
once the queen is released go ahead and remove the cage
that was just temporary to get her introduced

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »
I removed it. But the comb they built around it is what?s keeping the frames from going together

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:29:01 pm »
Nock,  I gently and slowly press the frames together with protruding burr comb.  The bees will trim the comb so they can get in between the frames.  Another is to cut the protruding comb.  The bee will repair.

It would be helpful to know what size the burr comb is:  a couple of inches or half the frame and is it brood comb or honey?
Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:43:30 pm »
It was probably 3-4? in diameter. One on both frames facing each other. Don?t really think it?s burr comb.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:18:07 pm »
If it's just wide comb on the foundation, push it together and they will remove the excess. If it is comb between the frames, remove it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 10:52:00 pm »
I once watched Joe May pull a frame that was to wide and he did not wast any time trimming it back to the proper width. He said go ahead and fix it now so you will not have to fight it the rest of the summer. The bees will properly repair what may be damaged.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 11:18:08 pm »
I thought about trimming but figured I ask the question first. I really don?t want to fight it. I was planning on going in hive 1 (nuc) this weekend. I?ll go ahead and go back in hive (2) the package and fix the issue. Storms here next couple days if I catch a break in afternoon when I get home I?ll go ahead go in. Then I?ll give the package hive couple weeks. Thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 11:28:06 pm »
I thought about trimming but figured I ask the question first. I really don?t want to fight it. I was planning on going in hive 1 (nuc) this weekend. I?ll go ahead and go back in hive (2) the package and fix the issue. Storms here next couple days if I catch a break in afternoon when I get home I?ll go ahead go in. Then I?ll give the package hive couple weeks. Thanks.

Make sure you get all the bees off the frame. Especially the queen. I would probably take it a step further just to be cautious. I might even catch the queen in a queen clip, just to make sure she is not caught up in the dripping honey. I will PM the video to you and where to look for this process, which will save you a lot of time. Also, I would let the honey drip from the comb, where trimmed,  into a container to catch the access before putting back in the hive, In a place bees cant reach.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 02:04:34 am »
congratulations. they are obivously in a flow. (or in a feed-flow?)

I would suggest trimming, too. It`s a pain with too wide spacings. but: there is no real hurry.
I just let everything fall onto the bottom board. it doesn`t have to be neat. bees will fix it. make sure the queen is not trimmed....
but the risks involved in catching a queen (I try to avoid that) is not worth it. imho. just make sure she is on another comb and set it aside.

anything