Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fermented?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Fermented?
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:00:37 pm »
Last August I bought some bee food for my bees when I got them. I got and installed them yesterday and opened up the food. It had a wierd smell that I cannot explain but it tasted fine. I do not know what fermented syrup smells like so I'm not sure if its fermented. It has a best by date of 2022
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Fermented?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 01:31:11 pm »
Fermented smells like wine or vinegar.

PS. Fermented feed will not hurt the bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:49 pm »
Fermented smells like wine or vinegar.

PS. Fermented feed will not hurt the bees.

Okay what a relief. First of all because I spent a lot of money on it and second of all i already fed a jar to them. Thank you

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 04:01:26 am »
Do not feed fermented syrup to the bees. It could cause belly-aches and dysentery.  If it is fermented enough, the byproduct which is alcohol is toxic/poison to bees. It could kill them.

It certainly does not have to be perfect, as they are going to add some yeasts to it and ferment it themselves a bit right before they use it. However, I would suggest that you leave it up to the bees if they want it as is and if they can handle it or not. They know what is best for themselves. Do this by giving them choices. Put the questionable feed out in a feeder in an area 15 to 20 feet from the hive. Let them go get it if they want it. If they take it, great.  If they do not touch it, you know your answer.   Also consider to put out in the area some fresh syrup. Continue to feed whichever they take up with the most vigor.

Do NOT bottle feed the fermented syrup directly into the hive. That gives the bees no choice but to take it or to cleanup whatever drips/leaks onto their heads and into their hive. They have no way to cleanup other than with their tongues. Like you cleaning your kitchen floor or the bathroom with your tongue, having to do so in all likelyhood will make them ill.

If you do not have the open feed option and you must put the feed directly on or into the hive, then mix up fresh syrup.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:10:45 am »
I've never seen any issues with fermented feed.  That doesn't mean there couldn't be.  When the pears are on the ground and nothing is blooming the bees gather the pear juice.  I'm sure it's not good for them per se, but as long as there is flying weather they seem to handle it fine.  Dysentery when the bees are confined by cold is a lot worse problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:19:57 am »
What Michael said. Honeypump said it right when hr said bees know what's good and what's not.Bees will gather ""CLEAN" water from cow patties. They have that ability
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:33:48 pm »
I've never seen any issues with fermented feed.  That doesn't mean there couldn't be.  When the pears are on the ground and nothing is blooming the bees gather the pear juice.  I'm sure it's not good for them per se, but as long as there is flying weather they seem to handle it fine.  Dysentery when the bees are confined by cold is a lot worse problem.

They're looking alright and I do not think the syrup is fermented. I just fed them the last jar i think they'll need because they're hauling in pollen and nectar. I checked yesterday and the queen is out and they are storing the syrup and pollen in the frames. I do a more detailed check Saturday and will see if they have any problems. Thank you for the help.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:47:17 pm »

They've had warm sunny days the past few days and the next week its supposed to be sunny and in the 70's so they should bee good.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:49:02 pm »
Do not feed fermented syrup to the bees. It could cause belly-aches and dysentery.  If it is fermented enough, the byproduct which is alcohol is toxic/poison to bees. It could kill them.

It certainly does not have to be perfect, as they are going to add some yeasts to it and ferment it themselves a bit right before they use it. However, I would suggest that you leave it up to the bees if they want it as is and if they can handle it or not. They know what is best for themselves. Do this by giving them choices. Put the questionable feed out in a feeder in an area 15 to 20 feet from the hive. Let them go get it if they want it. If they take it, great.  If they do not touch it, you know your answer.   Also consider to put out in the area some fresh syrup. Continue to feed whichever they take up with the most vigor.

Do NOT bottle feed the fermented syrup directly into the hive. That gives the bees no choice but to take it or to cleanup whatever drips/leaks onto their heads and into their hive. They have no way to cleanup other than with their tongues. Like you cleaning your kitchen floor or the bathroom with your tongue, having to do so in all likelyhood will make them ill.

If you do not have the open feed option and you must put the feed directly on or into the hive, then mix up fresh syrup.

Hope that helps!

I'm sure the syrup is not fermented. I now know what fermented smells like and it smells nothing like it. Thanks for your help.