Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Syrup question  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Syrup question
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:41 pm »
Can you make it in advance and keep it in fridge? Or is best to just make as you need it?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Syrup question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:42 pm »
I say either is OK. I am interpreting stored in the frig as months, not years.  The more sugar, the less of a chance of mold.

Maple syrup stored in my frig last a long time, like over a year.  Karo syrup, yuckie corn syrup last over a year.  Just so you know, do not feed corn syrup to bees.  I was just making a point of longevity, not endorsing.
Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:34:23 pm »
Yeah I?m thinking like a gallon or so. For a week.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:16:55 pm »
That will not bee a problem. I keep the excess in the fridge for longer than that.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:36:18 pm »
Do you need to store syrup in the fridge? I have some 2:1 left over from last fall that?s been in my unheated garage all winter, but now that it?s warming up should I put it in the fridge?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:43:45 pm »
Add some citric acid to preserve the syrup, 1/2 to 1 tsp per 10 litres, Add till it tastes like weak lemonade.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:50 am »
It lasts a lot longer. Smell it and if it smells ok, taste it. If it smells funny, toss it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:40 am »
I bought a dozen quart mason jars and filled each with the appropriate amount of dry sugar.
I have been adding hot water to the jars when I return with empties from my two backyard hives. So I have a quart jar of syrup on the hive and a quart jar ready as a replacement stored at room temperature.
There is no risk of spilling syrup when transferring from a bulk container to a feed container. I don't have larger mixing containers to manipulate or clean. My garage has a lot more storage space than my refrigerator. It takes about the same amount of time to dissolve the sugar into the hot water as it does to boil more hot water for the next jar.
I have yet to use the top feeder or the frame feeder I bought, each of which would have at least a gallon of syrup at hive temperature when filled.
Therefore I don't think storing a quart of syrup without preservatives until it is fully consumed by the colony is a problem. When they stop taking syrup I will not have an excess amount of waste.

I am prepared to abandon this initial approach if the rate of syrup consumption increases dramatically.

Am I missing something? Do I need the preservative now and/or if I change to the larger feeders?
Tom

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 12:35:08 pm »
It lasts a lot longer. Smell it and if it smells ok, taste it. If it smells funny, toss it.
Jim Altmiller

I just learned recently - by accident - that if you add Honey Bee Healthy to the syrup, it prevents mold formation. Posted in another thread on HBH.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 10:22:58 am »
Don't make it until you need it.  Make it as thick as is practical.  If your water isn't too hard, you should be able to make 2:1.  If your water is hard you may have better luck with 5:3.  Never make 1:1.  It won't keep well and won't accomplish anything that 5:3 won't do just as well or better.  Add some Ascorbic acid to the water before adding the sugar.  This will help it to keep, disrupt the microbes less, and is good for the bees.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24477034
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3896/IBRA.1.51.3.07

http://bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin