Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HBH yay nay may  (Read 5162 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: HBH yay nay may
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 10:27:06 am »
Yes, M. Bush, agreed on listed ingredients, however you need to add wintergreen oil to that list.  My info in from a letter from owner of hbh, Bob wrote.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 10:58:57 am »
If there is wintergreen in HBH it must have been added recently.  I have some and what I posted is the ingredient list.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:53 pm »
Ok, thanks Bush.  The letter was written years ago, initially as question to researchers while Bob was compiling ingredients for HBH. 
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:42 pm »
There appears to be two products:
 - Honey B Healthy - Original
 - Honey B Healthy - Super Plus
Based on the cryptic info pages on their website, it may be the super plus that has the winter green or/and tea tree in it. ... ?

We should also be clear on which one was used in the experiences given to keep sorted.
It should be reasonable to expect different results if there are other or extra ingredients between them. For example, maybe the Original is fine and harmless and serves purpose as a feeding stimulant to get them to lap up the syrup. Where as the Super Plus with the added/other EO's could be the one that shows to be harsh, eradicates microbes, potentially kills bees, and alters the taste so much that it cuts feeding rate.
As example:  The one I tried recently which the bees did not like at all was the Super Plus. The bottle smelled like Pine-Sol with a hint of lemon in it.

https://www.honeybhealthy.com/products/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbuE44BXqw
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:33:24 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 05:27:06 pm »
That definitely makes it clear that they prefer pure sugar water to HBH.
 Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 06:35:50 pm »
Jim X2.

Thank HP for posting video.

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 07:04:53 pm »
Interesting??.Anybody want to buy the bottle I have left!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 07:33:38 pm »
I have been told Tea Tree Oil is the main ingredient in (home made) bee healthy. So apparently my comments are mute. 😁. Interesting topic.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 07:52:09 pm »
Hey, Ben, how about posting your recipe for mixing your own.

Iddee, I got my recipe from Don the Fat Bee man, David at Barnyard Bees, and Joe May Bees. Each one has a slight difference in ingredients. Slight. I do not add lemongrass.  I add a tea spoon of tee tree oil. A tea spoon of wintergreen oil, and a tea spoon of spearmint oil to a cup or two of water. Put in a blender for five minutes. Add more water to equal a total of one quart. Mix again for a bit. I put one tablespoon of this mixture per-quart of sugar water. I add this before I mix the sugar water together so I will get a good mix. This will go a long way.  Smells good too!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 08:59:47 pm »
I have been told Tea Tree Oil is the main ingredient in (home made) bee healthy. So apparently my comments are mute. 😁. Interesting topic.
As far as I know, tea tree oil is on of the main ingredients in Bee quick and the bees hate it. The other ingredients are alcohol and almond extract. I think the almond extract is to make it smell good to us and hide the tea tree oil (in order to keep us DYI beekeepers from figuring it out and making our own).

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 09:05:53 pm »
As far as I know, tea tree oil is on of the main ingredients in Bee quick and the bees hate it. The other ingredients are alcohol and almond extract. I think the almond extract is to make it smell good to us and hide the tea tree oil (in order to keep us DYI beekeepers from figuring it out and making our own).

Jim Altmiller

Tea Tree alone smells pretty bad to me also.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 12:03:44 am »
Mr Claude,
I didn't read the complete article but here is an example of just one portion of this article about the benefit of essential oils for bees.  If you are interested you can look it up or contact the researcher at the address that I have provided at the very bottom. And as you say, I hope that helps.   :grin:
Phillip

https://beeworks.com/ Research Paper??Using Essential Oils.
Jim Amrine, Bob Noel, Harry Mallow, Terry Stasny, Robert Skidmore (Last Updated: December 30, 1996)
Contents
Essential Oils have Two Modes of Action
Revised Dosages Used in Experimental Treatments

Timing of Treatments
Recent Findings
Comments on Varroatosis
Comments on Natural Resistance to Varroatosis
EPA Exemption of Essential Oils
Notes about tracheal mites
We have found that several essential oils can either kill, or adversely affect varroa mites.
Essential Oils have Two Modes of Action:
1) Toxicity by direct contact:
When varroa mites contact essential oils such as wintergreen, patchouli, tea tree oil, et al., mixed into oil or grease, they are killed on contact?usually within a few minutes.
2) Impaired reproduction via feeding syrups containing essential oils:
When varroa mites feed on larvae that contain essential oils, their reproduction is interrupted. If the oil is strong enough, the females are unable to lay eggs. If the oils are in lower concentration, eggs
are layed, but development of immature mites is delayed; young mites do not reach maturity before the bees emerge from the cell; consequently, the immature mites die.

James W. Amrine, Jr.
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences,
P. O. Box 6108, West Virginia University
Morgantown, WV 26505-6108 USA
Telephone: 304-293-6023
E-mail: jamrine@wvnvm.wvnet.edu

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 02:33:44 am »
While we are on the subject.  I highly suggest and recommend every beekeeper read the following article featuring Randy Oliver, with a very detailed layout on the subject of Nosema, in which he details identifying this dread. Along with good pictures.  Randys article was just revised and updated this past March. 
Phillip

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-13-simple-microscopy-of-nosema/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:48:32 am by Ben Framed »