Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: size of drone to worker?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
size of drone to worker?
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:03:24 pm »
Ib am trying to determine if my hive is being robbed. I thought it was a month or so ago. and put a screen over the entrance and nade a smaller opening through the screen to give them an easier defensive. I didn'tsee these theoretical robbers for awhile which are considerably bigger almost twice as big with shiney backs. Well they are back after checking my hive and placing a medium on it as my first twofullbrood boxes were full. I reduced the entrance in the screen again but i am hoping these are just drones as some have suggested before. If anyone can show me a picture of a drone or a comparison it willbe greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
size of drone to worker?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:18:57 pm »
Drones have huge eyes and blunt butts.  Workers have small eyes and pointed butts.  Drones vary greatly in size, partly because drone cells are usually make shift in odd places because of the foundation we all use.  So they vary from huge to barely bigger than a worker.  Most are about half  again as big as a worker.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin