Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: robbing blind  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
robbing blind
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:17:05 pm »
I noticed today that there are bees robbing at an alarming rater of 35 or so entering per minute. This is new hive this year. unfortunately ace was closed as I realized this.this was the first day of heavy robing And hopefully the last. Cant I just use a screen over the cleat on my hive? will that work? I f my cleat is cut open in the middle like an enlongated n ? also these bees are huge. twice as big as the honey bees. Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
robbing blind
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:09:35 am »
might the big bees have been drones?  i observed the same thing a bit back, but after watching for awhile, i realized that the bees were not upset, and when i got a chance for a closer look, the big bees were drones.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
robbing blind
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:24:10 am »
Drones is my guess.  Drones and Boring, Oregon somehow there's justice in that.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
robbing blind
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
there are two different sized bees coming in other theynmy bees. one lookslike a bigfly but is a bee and the other looksmorelike wasp. long abdomen and longer legs. if these are drones is this high # signaling something?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
robbing blind
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:58:29 pm »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray
Drones is my guess.  Drones and Boring, Oregon somehow there's justice in that.

i don't know....boring is sounding good right now....not looking forward to the hassle of flying all over europe!    of course, i had to include london in there!   :)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
robbing blind
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:00:43 pm »
Quote from: Aaron B
there are two different sized bees coming in other theynmy bees. one lookslike a bigfly but is a bee and the other looksmorelike wasp. long abdomen and longer legs. if these are drones is this high # signaling something?

i had some wasp intruders too, but the hive seemed to take care of them.  only thing i had to do was close my top entrance.  that seemed to be one opening to many for a young hive.  they seemed better able to protect the bottom opening.....

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
robbing blind
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 03:57:26 pm »
If there are a bunch of dead and fighting bees at the entrance and on the ground in front of the hive, it's robbing.  I use a robber screen on my weak hive as well as an entrance reducer.  When I saw robbing last year I used a water sprinkler to stop it.  

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/mydarlingheathens/Robbing%20and%20Others/Robbingremainders1Oct05011.jpg

Then set up the reducer and the screen.  It worked great.

Good luck.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
robbing blind
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:56:20 pm »
If you go to a top entrance it is important to close up the lower entrance as the bees will abandon it in preference to the upper one.  Robbers (bees or wasps) can then use the unguarded lower entrance to their advantage.  At the very least use the entrance reducer at the smallest setting.  Having more than one entrance invites robbers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!