Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants - are they a problem?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline johnnie1uk

• New Bee
Ants - are they a problem?
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:29:39 am »
I have just started beekeeping, and notice there are ants running around in various places on and in the hive, are they a problem to the bees or don't they matter?
"Give bees a chance" need I say more......

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Ants - are they a problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:00:12 am »
It depends on the type of ants that you have. I always have ants in the hives. Most of them are the garbage collectors (sugar ants) that clean up what the bees drop.
I have had what I think was bull ants or a cousin to the carpenter ant that moved in one evening and killer the hive. I killed every one of them  and never had that problem again. Knock on wood.   :-D
The cheapest long term way to protect your hives is to put used coffee grounds around the bases of your hives. Cinnamon also works but washes away every time it rains. Limestone power also works.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline johnnie1uk

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 07:05:32 am »
Thanks, I like the coffee grounds idea, I can get loads of those. and they are ecologically friendly.
"Give bees a chance" need I say more......

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:17:39 am »
And free.  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 05:59:13 pm »
Thanks, I like the coffee grounds idea, I can get loads of those. and they are ecologically friendly.

Must try it myself - also if practical - apply grease to the hive supports - there is a specific long lasting tacky goo sold for fruit trees to apply to the trunks to keep ants out of citrus trees - but grease works as well
David L

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »
Where I live they are not a problem.  People living further south have issues.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin