Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lets Go Fishing!  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Lets Go Fishing!
« on: April 05, 2023, 12:01:09 pm »
Well fishermen and fisherladiers. It is crappie time in my area. I have not been yet. How is the fishing in your area? Have pictures?   :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Lets Go Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 07:16:54 pm »
I went for a bit of a session on the beach yesterday afternoon. Caught a few beach worms on the lower part of the tide and was then lucky enough to catch 10 whiting. They weren?t big fish but there was enough fillets for about 3 meals. They are my favourite eating fish and provide good sport on light gear. If I can get out again next week, I will post a few photos.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 07:31:15 pm »
It's a little cold for me to go out so you won't have to fight me for your favorite spot. Most of my fishing is done in Upstate, NY during late spring and summer and I don't even do that much recently. I went for salmon and halibut in AK last July and have another trip booked for 2025. 2024 was already booked up when I tried.

Last June when I went in NY, browns were eating worms like nothing I've seen before. Every cast a fish. I fish for keeps.

I took these in 1/2 hr or so.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 07:49:41 pm »
Nice catch Terri!!! Thanks for posting and the added picture!!

Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 07:51:10 pm »
Les that sounds fun! Especially when you can catch your favorite flavored fish!

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 10:53:42 pm »
It is good fun Phillip. Just over a week ago I had a few days up in the mountains with a couple of mates. Fly fishing for trout is one of my favourite pastimes. Having a fly line pulled through your fingers by a good fish that is on the run is an amazing sensation.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 11:03:58 pm »
Les I have no doubt that trout fishing as you describe is a thrill! In my area trout are not to be found. When I was a boy, I used to buy those 60 cent Outdoor Life as well as Field & stream and Sports Afield magazines. I always wished to try my hand at fly fishing. There was an outdoor writer from my State of Mississippi who would regularly go out West on such adventures and write of such in those magazines. He also wrote of many other type of hunting and fishing adventures. His name was Bruce Brady and he was from Brookhaven, Mississippi..  Thanks for rekindling those memories!!

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 12:39:54 am »
Fly fishing is HUGE in my area, although I've never done it myself.  We just chuck bait for trout in the summer.  We had a really poor trout fishing season last summer though.  We had very little rain, and the river was just too low and the water too warm for the trout.  We have brown, brook, and rainbow trout, all stocked in our river by the state wildlife commission.  Upstream from where I live we also have native brooks and semi-native browns in wild waters, where the trout populations are self-sustaining.  What kind of trout are you fishing for, Les?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:10 am »
Hi Reagan,

We fish for browns and rainbows. The browns are self sustaining and the rainbows are stocked. I was fishing on Lake Eucumbene which is a large lake of about 30km in length and is a part of the Snowy Hydro Scheme that generates a lot of power to supplement electricity to the main grid. It is about 4000 ft above sea level which means that the water is generally cool and supports good populations of trout. The streams feeding the lakes also hold fish.