Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Panama City, FL  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Fernbel

• Brood
Hello From Panama City, FL
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:44:22 am »
Good morning,
I found this site looking for information on K wing. It was in a journal. Interestingly some of my package had this. I found it fascinating some of the bees had 4 wings, my thinking they only had 2, not realizing there were four connected. They looked like fairy wings. One drone in my package did have deformed wings. This was all supposed to be from a strong VSH colony, but they said they had to use a supplier this year instead of their own stock. My 3# package also came with over a cup of dead bees. I did an alcohol test on them anyway and think I found 5 mites. The inspector comes on the 13th of June, so I'll confirm then. I did an OA treatment and fed them a grease patty laced with lemongrass and spearmint EO. I also shoved a couple sprigs of lavender into the hive. I've only seen dead ants and pollen along with DE on my screened bottom board. Either the OA didn't work or they weren't badly infested. This was a package after all. I've ordered an OA ventilator I'll do once it's here as a prophylaxis. The few drones I have, besides the deformed wing one, which I removed, don't appear to have mites. They take numerous flights each day, to which I wish them well and too not return. My beekeeping experience has not been the chill experience I thought it would be. I may lose my first hive before I begin. I hadn't even mentioned the ants in my hive, roaches, birds, and dragonflies.  :cry: I'm baiting the ants and roaches, the bees are doing a good job chasing off the bird, and I've only seen one dragonfly swoop after a bee. Luckily I have a million other bugs they can eat.

Warmly,
Fern

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello From Panama City, FL
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:06:09 am »
Welcome to Beemaster Fern.
Sounds like you are reading a lot. That is a good thing but it also sounds like you are trying to do every treatment there is. Remember bees have been around for 100 million years. Now is a good time to watch and learn about what your bees do. Most problems do not affect the bees the first year. Find out what the seller treated with and only use it for now.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:05:36 am »
Welcome to the forum fern. Beekeeping is not easy for sure. I lost all my hives the first year.  I attribute the 100% loss to my inexperience and over meddling with the bees. Sounds like you are researching and looking for ways to succeed, which is good.  Getting help from an experienced beekeeper can really help.  Getting locally raised bees is also helpful imo. Good luck!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:38:42 am »
welcome  :happy:

anything