Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Minnesota  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Flyzone13

• New Bee
Greetings from Minnesota
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:49 am »
I have been interested, but have not taken any steps to start beekeeping until now.  I enjoy the outdoors and all the good that can come from being a part of it, as well as preserving what we still have left.  I have been producing maple syrup for 7 years now and also like to get out in the spring and summer to forage mushrooms.  Now with winter among us, I thought now would be the appropriate time to start planning and building my hive.  Since I am so green to beekeeping I am struggling to choose what type of hive to build.  I am planning on building everything I can from scratch, with materials I can get for little to nothing or use what I already have.  This site has a lot of info and its a little over whelming to start, but I look forward to picking up as much info I can over the winter before I start my hive this spring.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:35 am »
Welcome..................

Many opinions here, but I will start with mine.

Two hives minimum to start, each consisting of two deep and one medium 10 frame Langstroth. Set up with one deep and add as they grow. It will be easier to get help with that setup and easier to get rid of if you decide beekeeping isn't for you or you want to go a different route.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »
Welcome.

Are you near Minneapolis?  Marla Spivak at the U. of Minnesota runs an excellent educational program for new beekeepers, as well as researching bee problems, etc.  I think she developed the Minnesota Hygienic Bee breed, too.  So you have excellent resources there if you are near the twin cities.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 12:21:17 pm »
Flyzone,
Welcome to Beemaster.
You do not mention how old you are. I would recommend 2 hives also but if you are up there in age like a lot of beeks are, I would recommend starting with 8 frame medium hives. Much easier to pick up when they are full of honey and all of the frames are interchangeable.
Build a few swarm traps and collect some Free local bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Flyzone13

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »
Welcome.

Are you near Minneapolis?  Marla Spivak at the U. of Minnesota runs an excellent educational program for new beekeepers, as well as researching bee problems, etc.  I think she developed the Minnesota Hygienic Bee breed, too.  So you have excellent resources there if you are near the twin cities.
Yes, I am within an hour of Minneapolis and get down there often.  That is one the list of things to do yet this winter, I really would like to collect as much useful information as possible before I build and start my hive.  One of the hardest questions I have at the moment is what type of hive to build.  I like the idea of a TBH, but I also like the Langstroth long box as well.  I want to start small and simple to get a better understanding with minimal start up costs.

Offline Flyzone13

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:32:29 pm »
Flyzone,
Welcome to Beemaster.
You do not mention how old you are. I would recommend 2 hives also but if you are up there in age like a lot of beeks are, I would recommend starting with 8 frame medium hives. Much easier to pick up when they are full of honey and all of the frames are interchangeable.
Build a few swarm traps and collect some Free local bees.
Jim
I will be transitioning from my 30's into the 40's in Jan.  would the Langstroth long hive be a good idea?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 08:36:50 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:22:23 pm »
Flyzone,
I have never built one so I do not know.
Mane Michael Bush will answer.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin