Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Saipan!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Vic. Cabrera

• New Bee
Hello from Saipan!
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:51:32 am »
Greetings and thank you for having me in this forum.  I am a middle school teacher, part time farmer, and novice bee keeper.  Looking forward to sharing and gaining more knowledge on the topic of bee keeping.  I live on the island of Saipan, out in the Pacific.  Our average temperature daily is about 88 degrees Fahrenheit all year long.  We have two seasons here.....dry and wet.  In both seasons our bees seem to be doing well.  Hoping to learn more about bees and their possible diseases.  My understanding is that we don't have Veroa mites or AFB or EFB here on our islands and if that is true, I'd like to learn more about how to prevent that from ever coming to our islands.
Middle School Teacher, Farmer, and Bee Keeper.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Hello from Saipan!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »
I can't offer any advice for your climate but I do want to welcome you.
Neill

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »
Howdy!

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:49:32 pm »
Vic,
Welcome to Beemaster
If you don't want to have to deal with those problems, get your government to prevent bees from being imported to your island. Then they also need to keep a close watch your ports to make sure you do not get hitch hikers from coming in on cargo.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:14:40 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:17 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Vic. Cabrera

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:29:24 am »
Thank you for the welcome.  Been reading a lot of the posts on here and I'm loving it!  So many people sharing their knowledge on bee keeping.  Thanks again!

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:02:33 pm »
Welcome.  Sounds like paradise.  Take good care of it and keep us informed on your progress in beekeeping.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:37:19 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Vic. Cabrera

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:59:20 am »
If anyone is interested, I just posted my first hive inspection video on YouTube.  You can search it up under "Pacific Bee Boyz" 1st full hive inspection top bar.   It was amazing!  To see how much comb they made in 2.5 weeks and they already have capped brood as well as so many eggs and larvae.  happy to report the hive is doing well and I haven't had to feed them yet since there are so many flowers still in bloom.

I have planted several pots of a local variety of daisies near their hive, which the bees seems to love.  I also intend on planting Russian mammoth sunflowers as well as golden rod and many other flowers being recommended.  If anyone has any recommendation for other types of flowers to plant, please let me know.  Also, there is a giant pond nearby, should I still provide some kind of container or water source near the hive?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:33:02 pm »
 "Also, there is a giant pond nearby, should I still provide some kind of container or water source near the hive?"
Vic,
With a pond nearby, your bees will probably not even use another source if you provide one. Your source will probably be pure water with little smell. Bees like a source that they can locate by smell.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vic. Cabrera

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:29 am »
Hey sawdstmakr, Thanks for the advice. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »
No problem. Enjoy your bees.
What is the average annual honey production with the bees working year around?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Vic. Cabrera

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:01 am »
I have yet to find out.  I am documenting everything as I go, I will be sharing that information as well.