Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using XP again - oh the memories  (Read 2745 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Using XP again - oh the memories
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »
I admit, I use Tracey's netbook a lot - it is the one setup option that allows me to watch TV and surf at the same time since my 17 inch HP Laptop is connected to the HDTV and there is no picture in a picture option.

But the Laptop has Visit, a operating system many people just have never liked and this little Netbook uses XP Service Pack 3 (fully updates with all Windows program fixes to date.

What a simpler life it was under XP, sure you can argue that Vista was built more for home and business networking, but beyond that it always seems like more work than XP.

I have install a great deal of programs in the Netbook and everything runs wonderfully, only seeing any lag issues in the processor differences which you need to expect.

It is a walk down memory lane, XP was many peoples favorite system and Windows 7 with a 10-22-09 due date in the stores supposedly takes the charm we miss in XP and jacks it up many notches which exceed what Vista does with home networking. Indeed the best of both worlds.

Those who have taken the Win7 betas for a test drive and although most of us missed the fact it was out there and free since 2006 and now it is ready for your upgrading, almost.

Ideally, we will see more computers in every home than TV sets. The cost of these min-laptops is so low that most families can afford to get their kids their own PCs and have simple access to wireless networking. The idea of course to make the Internet in every room in your house, whether a unit is desktop or carried into that rare room you'd never surf in days past.

I'm laying on my couch in the living room, knees up and netbook on my lap, relaxed and nearly weighless at well under 3 pounds. I carry this thing about NEVER geting tired because of the feather weight - I cannot say that about my laptop which has a case nearly weighing as much as the laptop. With the Netbook, a simple sleeve that it slides into and a flap that tucks the opening into the sleeve is all I need, if even using that - around the house I just grab up the Netbook by the back end where the six celled battery is located, it is the widest spot and makes for secure grabbing and carrying.

But XP did have and still has a great fan base. Its low use of processor resources alone made it affordable when memory costs were a lot higher than today. Today, memory is unimaginably cheap - we have SD memory chips that hold 16GIGS of storage that sell for under $30, I think next to portable hard drives, like my 1000 gigabyte drive which was under $150 - remarkable prices by any accounts.

But the 16GIG SD cards can store about 20 full length movies, thousands of songs, complete backup for any operating system, practically every photo you could take in a year as a casual home photographer, full length home movies and these cards can be kept in your wallet, easily shipped and shared with friends and 16GIG is a lot of storage for something the size of a Scrabble tile - it is almost magical technology.

You all know I'm a big movie buff and I go back to shiftwork in a few weeks - when I do I'll be keeping most of my computer HD space freed and using these high capacity SD chips to move videos from one PC to another and always have a dozen or more movies on a chip I can cover up with my thumb.

So Win 7 surely has gotten ome new features which will have a learning curve, but the reviews and walk throughs I have seen really explain how great it was thought out and made to meet the needs of how we now live in the ENTERTAINMENT AGE - we left the communication age a few years ago, although it is every bit as popular, we now want videos, TV, movies, concerts and anything that makes on-demand entertainment available only one click away.

What a neat time to be around, seeing USABLE  MINI-PCs like this Samsung N120 at half the size and 1/3rd the weight and triple the battery life as my 2 year old laptop is wild. So many devices exist from mp3s to cellphones loaded with every bells and whistles are out there, but they all have the same two flaws that make them more geared toward the younger users 1) tiny screens are NOT freindly to anyone for long term use and 2) these thumb-operated "QWERTY" style keys are just too tiny to do much on besides text messaginng. But the Netbooks have typically a screen about 10 inches, a nice processor and large hard drive, as well as webcam for seeing and talking to anyone, freind or family or work literally anywhere on Earth and the ability to type on a fullsized keyboard using normal typing skills, not thumbing your way around and having to use abbriviations - yes, you can just type and enjoy a bright screen with easy to see text and brillant still and moving images.

So, I have mentioned I'm waiting until Win 7 is preinstalled in this N120 before I buy my own, Tracey will likely keep the XP in this one and I see no real reason for her to upgrade. So hail to XP your reign has been long and yourfollowing has stayed dedicated to your more simplistic look and feel. I hope that after a few years of Win7 we can all say the same thing about it - something tells me it will be loved and I think its simpler searching features, connectivity and home networking options will make it a classic.

Lastly, I decided that I will likely also get the WHITE N120 from Samsung, I will probably mark it with a label or something so Tracey and I aren't grabbing the wrong machines, but the white is very nice, it is BRIGHT even in subdued room light. I'm not big on black prducts, they all seem to disappear in a darker room, trying to see the white lettering (or God forbit some whacked color on knobs etc.) and to have white keys, frame, wrist rests, shell and the only back is the print on the keys - the black stands out and I need far less light to see what I am doing, so white is my choice for now, unless they come out with a greater color selection - they did add blue, but I find the same issues as the black color design Netbooks.

Lastly, soon everyone will have a PC of some type or another in your home - at least those old enough to care for one. I could by three of these Netbooks for what I paid for my Laptop, and although it is a very nice HP Notebook, it isn't worth 3 of these Netbooks for the casual user, especially a family with kids.

I get a kick out of the back-to-school commercials where they have middle-school kids holding up a 17 to 20 inch laptop that they want you to believe they use in school. Honestly, this would wear out these kids in minutes toting these monsters from class to class, removing them from thier cases, setting them up, waiting for them to boot and then the class is over and repeat the process over and over. A Netbook can lay on your desk and you still have room for books, it boots up in under 30 secs, handles all school like software as well as a larger laptop and you just fold it up, toss it back in your backpack and on to the next class. It is so light you don't know if it is a schoolbook or a computer.

The world is changing, I suggest that you keep an eye on stock as we near Christmas, I totally believe that Netbooks are the stocking stuffers of 2009 and some investor may make a hefty profit jumping in before the rush!

Later today and tonight I'll be running the Netbook Cam at www.livestream.com/beemaster - I'll post when. I hope to go to the library and play there for a while today, it should be cool having the people and rows of books behind me in the cam.

I guess the best part is that you feel like you have a computer for the first time - remember the thrill of getting that first PC, even in the old days when they really didn't do much, it was still exciting... That is the excitement of getting a Netbook and then multiply that about a million times and imagine your kids face when opening up a gem like these that are geared ideally for smaller hands. I can't imagine any child NOT loving these, of course peer pressure exists and I'm sure some yingyang would bust a kid about why they didn't get a real computer. My answer, big isn't always better, and often isn't. So go play with a Netbook at your local electron stores, hopefully they'll have them Internet connected and see what they can do and IF your child struggles in any school subject, you have an affordable way to catalyst them to passing grades and without a doubt, if you have a child getting on an honor studnt list - these thingsare the perfect gift to congratulate them and imagine how much more study time will fill their day when they can flop on the floor, sit at the table or lay in bed and do anything with the comfort of the world they create and enjoy.

My friend and coworker several months back made a deal with his 6th grade son that if he passed school on the honor roll, he'd get his own laptop, the son did and the father followed through with his promise buying him a HP 15.4 inch laptop. The son loves it, it goes everywhere with him.

Now after seeing the Netbook, he is going to buy one for the rest of the family to use as needed, from his 9 year old daughter to him and his wife. Between the two computers, the desktop will remain in the basement where it rarely got used - his wife didn'twant a whole desk in the living area dedicated to the desktop. Now, they use a small folding table or take the laptop to the dining room table or down on the floor and they use the compter 10 times or more than they ever did the desktop. Once they get the Netbook for Christmas, I foresee the whole family surfing and learning and entertaining themselves as never before.

He was a perfect example about having an older computer, at one tme on dialup - he said they rarely use the computer and he couldn't justify cable internet or a updated computer. I explained that the whole reason no one used it WAS because of the dialup, outdated hardware and location. I told him it has to be fast, portable or centrally located where everyone has easy access. Now that they have the HP Laptop on cable, the Internet is used much of the day, everyone takes turns using it and school work is taken to a whole new level. With the addition of a Netbook, this family will have all the tools that they will need to be Internet saavy and always learning because now it is fun, not going to the basement (which is very nice) but still out of the way. It is like home GYM equipment, if it is tucked in the closet or under the bed, you will NEVER use it.

So, I talked a lot here, been sick lately with some flu or something - today I felt like typing and getting the whole family into computing and doing it affordably is a great topic. I'd like to hear your thoughts :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Using XP again - oh the memories
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:28:13 pm »
        Just a couple of comments John. Regards XP, it is on this computer and on my laptop ( possibly the before SN120 model) I am never conscious that XP is operating there in the background. It has just worked from day 1 on both machines.
        Only an hour ago on talkback radio a very strong response to TVs and computers being in most rooms in a house received many negative responses from both the so called experts and the general public as well.
         Parents who have had problems with their children found that when these facilities were set up in one room the family seemed to be a happier group and much more cohesive even though it meant that headphone sets were used.
         Anyway as my family would say these are only the ramblings of a grumpy old great grandad.
         Hope Samsung come good with some sponsorship. they might even like to support the forum.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Using XP again - oh the memories
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:47:42 pm »
I think I need to add something... That is that with networking your family comes the responcibility of using parental controls on software, like Explorer and Firefox which have made it easy, even McAfee and I assume Norton have such features to prevent run-away usage beyond the santity of your family.

I like the mini laptops because of the fact that EVERYONE can share the same room, play multiplayer games across several screens, making the computer age version of board games something that parents and new age kids can enjoy family style. All computers when kids are involved need parental supervision, even when kids are here in the forum I ask parents to be with them, as hard as we work to keep it family friendly here, sometime things slip by (if only for minutes) that always get addressed by us, but parents always need to be proactive.

I never promote the idea of computers in a bedroom of a teen, either sex especially with builtin cams on these laptops - it just asks for trouble. I saw on the Doctors show the other day, them speaking of safe sex with teens being online cam sex between GF and BF, what a twist that takes a lot of thinking to even grasp an answer. Scary when having your kids doing a private show to their crush is better than "hooking up" but we live in a weird world today.

The most pride I feel for the members in the forum is the Lund Family, the creators of the Indiana John Movies - a whole family writing, acting editing and showcasing a series of videos that are sweeping Youtube - that is the family of our member Ernest t. Bass. The work and love needed to be inspirered to create incredible productions using family at all production levels is remarkable and deserve the Beemaster's Family of the Year Award!

But back to the topic, having the netbook in the kitchen tonight, streaming video feed to our Ventrilo members as I cooked Wild Rice an prepared MArinated Turkey Breast for the grill was a blast. Sharing simple things with friends with such neat technolgy is rewarding and fun.

To move that netbook anywhere in the house and outside would bring my world and theirs closer and although like a gun, the Internet can be a terrible thing if used wrongly - it is a magical tool that too many people sterotype with sick and deranged thoughts. Used innocently and in a family way, their is powers of wonder and excitement that can be achieved and it surely is the parents that need to control that with technolgy and with trust. But trust is something earned, children need to know that Mom and Dad have ways of always knowing where they have been and the knowledge of that alone should be enough to keep them straight and on a rightious path.

Nope... I'm not afraid of a computer for everyone, the more we have access too, the greater we can achieve the goals in our lives. Why should one child have to wait for another to finish internet research before that child can tackle homework, especially if the COST of multi-computering a home is within the grasp of most families.

I remember hearing a story, I'll keep it clean but you can use your imagination. One young man of about 16/17 years of age had such a small laptop and had been caught taking it into the bathroom for such teenage boy stuff, but the mother found out he wasn't just viewing things, he was broadcasting (he forgot to sign off one computer and took the other with him, the Mother saw the feed and literally broke down the door trashing his laptop.

The generation coming up today has options that us older folks never dreamed of and too many temptations. a close family, where the parents and kids interact is a safer family, it is when the parents blindly refuse to see what can happen with their kids and let them lock themselves in their room for hours a day are the parents who make such topics where negative feedback to multi-puting a home is even necessary to talk about.

In our case, it is just my wife and me. We are often all over the house doing different things. If she is in the laundry room folding clothes for an hour, then why one Earth shouldn't she be able to watch a show on Fancast to make her time somehow a bit more enjoyable. And when cooking, having a recipe site right in front of us in the kitchen is a nice luxury that makes the computing world work for us.

Lastly, about XP - indeed a solid and seemless sytem by almost all accounts and one that MOST people would gladly switch back to if there was indeed a switch on the Vista desktop. I hope Windows 7 is the easy but powerful software system bragged about by all the big tech sites. It might be like having XP 2010, a dream operating system that most of us would gladly use.

Oh.... and about Samsung. I did about 2 months research online about every computer I could find in the gendre and just believe it is the best. Surely not looking for anything from them and trust me wouldn't accept anything, especially advertising from them no matter how much I believe in their product. Mind you, the N120 is just one of thousands of Samsung products, I don't think I have ever owned anything else they have ever made. Nope... Beemaster.com and Forums is now and always will be commercial free.

I rarely endorse anything in the forums, I think you would have to search long and hard to find any product or even an eatery recomendation from me. I have this belief that JUST because I had a good meal somewhere has no bearing on how good the food would be when you go after my recommendation, so I keep my mouth shut on suggesting almost anything, especially beekeeping related stuff.

Honestly, the only food I have ver endorsed is the ribs at Texas Road House, I have been to several of them and they are consistantly good - so I don't mind suggesting those, but almost anything else, I leave for others to comment on.

All your points well taken and fully understood. It is such a shame in this world that the small amount of bad done ruins the innocense of the good that occur.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything