Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Gate Installation  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
Honey Gate Installation
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:19:16 am »
I have a couple honey gates, that instead of having a "normal" external hex nut, uses a nut that threads into the inner diameter of the honey gate. This "nut" has a recessed hex fitting, probably around 40ish mm (similar to a socket head cap screw).

My question, for anyone who has used this type of gate, is what have you used to tighten this nut?

I thought I would ask before I went off and made something.

Thanks
Spence

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:39:25 am by Dabbler »
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
Re: Honey Gate Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:44 am »
Another thing on campaigns and their costs.
And how it can be done in a different way.

Campaigns are like advertising. The product doesn`t get any better by repeating over and over again....

In France, Sarkozy, former president, has a law suit going against him because he spent more money on the campaign for presidency than is allowed in France. Quite a sound way of going about it, I think. Give a budget-limit and that`s it.

I hate campaigns. let the politicians do their work and judge them by their work. They can tell me all kinds of things. Experience teaches: Can`t believe most of it anyway.
Or worse yet: They will be doing the same things anyway but they need to set a "profile".
is there no "puke"-emoticon?

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:36:54 am »
Another thing on campaigns and their costs.
And how it can be done in a different way.

Campaigns are like advertising. The product doesn`t get any better by repeating over and over again....

In France, Sarkozy, former president, has a law suit going against him because he spent more money on the campaign for presidency than is allowed in France. Quite a sound way of going about it, I think. Give a budget-limit and that`s it.

I hate campaigns. let the politicians do their work and judge them by their work. They can tell me all kinds of things. Experience teaches: Can`t believe most of it anyway.
Or worse yet: They will be doing the same things anyway but they need to set a "profile".
is there no "puke"-emoticon?

sorry I put that in the wrong thread....  :shocked:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 03:34:30 pm »
Dobber,
Just use your hand to tighten it up. I have several honey gates just like the one you described. There is a rubber O-ring that makes the seal and it does not have to be super tight.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:41 pm »
Thanks Jim.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 04:26:46 am »
For larger Allen hex socket heads I've used the head of a bolt in a pinch.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 08:20:24 am »
A piece of wood.  You would only need to cut the wood the distance between two opposing flats.  It wouldn't need to be a hex.  Another way is to soap up the o ring so you can turn the valve instead of the nut.  Then wash it off.  Of course you have to find the right position for the nut so the valve ends up where you want it.  But a couple of tries usually works.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:04:38 pm »
Skeggley - Duh ! Why didn't I think of that? If I can't hand tighten it enough, I'll look to see if I have anything that large. Also need to keep this in mind for other projects.

Brian - Thanks. My first thought was wood but I wanted to see what others had done first.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Johnny

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 03:02:58 pm »
adjustable water pump pliers