Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foot wear for beekeeping  (Read 4018 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Foot wear for beekeeping
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:02:34 pm »
I've got some ankle high boots, and I'm finding bees are crawling into my shoes and stinging me on my foot through my foot, and on my ankle.

I'm wondering, would high-top leather boots be more practical for beekeeping? Something that sits up higher? If it's worthwhile to use boots that sit higher, would having a zip or some sort of lace to tie be more effective? I'm not sure if without such, the bees would easily be able to crawl down the length to one's foot. Or would not having a lace or zip be better, since if one does get stung on the foot, or get a bee down there, it'd be easier to slide off the boot?

Are steel caps worthwhile for beekeeping? Have any of you guys dropped something heavy on your foot whilst beekeeping?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:19:25 pm by omnimirage »

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Foot wear for beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:49:59 pm »
I've got some ankle high boots, and I'm finding bees are crawling into my shoes and stinging me on my foot through my foot, and on my ankle.

I'm wondering, would high-top leather boots be more practical for beekeeping? Something that sits up higher? If it's worthwhile to use boots that sit higher, would having a zip or some sort of lace to tie be more effective? I'm not sure if without such, the bees would easily be able to crawl down the length to one's foot. Or would not having a lace or zip be better, since if one does get stung on the foot, or get a bee down there, it'd be easier to slide off the boot?

Are steel caps worthwhile for beekeeping? Have any of you guys dropped something heavy on your foot whilst beekeeping?
I usually just wear sandals and shorts. It kind of reminds me of a queen rearing presentation I saw by Michael Palmer. He was talking about traits for which to breed. He mentioned something about not wanting bees that staple sox to ankles. A couple other things can help you with stings on the feet and ankles. I find that top entrances keep the bees away from my feet. Also work from the back of the hive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:58:51 pm »
I wear crocs and I have been stung on the toe and ankle.  I am also mostly in shorts.  I wear thin hospital gloves that lots of times are open at the wrist.  I have been stung on the wrist.  I have not been stung recently and about the only real thing I have changed is that I smoke my body including blowing a little smoke in my crocs and on my hands arms and pretty much every where before going to the hives.
It might help
Cheers
gww

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »
Unlike the boys above I HATE being stung   :grin:

I wear boots and tuck my pants inside.  Either rubber boots or leather riding boots. 

One thing that might help is to make sure you don't set frames on the ground.  It seems like a simple thing, but I have done it and have seen others do it.  The bees are not usually going to be on the ground unless you put equipment there or shake them somehow.  Or...you are walking around in flowers??  :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »
Kathy
I am a boy but I don't like to be stung.  I don't have good suits though and the full coveralls I do have are so hot.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring but the bees have been very nice now that I am getting a little better at handling them and sorta noticing their mood also.  If I ever have a queenless hive or the skunks start bothering them, I will look like snow covered head to toe except for the duct tape covering any possible gap.  I made some mistakes and got stung but seem to be getting better at not making the same mistakes, knock on wood.  I don't know if the smoking myself has been part of the help in nice bees but somebody said that JP the bee man did so before he makes all those crazy vidios and I have not got stung since starting smoking myself. Could be a fluke.
Cheers
gww

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:33 am »
No fluke.  The smoke helps especially after they sting a glove or something.  So does gaining some confidence.  You tend to shake them up less!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:25:05 am »
http://www.auswideworkwear.com.au/index.php/work-boots-foot-wear/work-boot-covers.html

Back in the day - no more, as I leave as I started "going commando".
Kathy put it best;
"So does gaining some confidence.".

Cheers.

Bill

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:03 am »
I hate being stung, and have never got used to it.  But - I happily wear open sandals (all year round), unless I've been called to deal with someone-else's dreaded German/British Black Bees (AMM), when I go equipped with full head-to-toe armour.

Make life easy - select your bees for good behaviour, and - as and when you need to shake them off a comb - use a shake-off hopper, to prevent that dozen or more which always seem to end-up on the ground ... where they WILL tend to crawl up your legs.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:55:45 am »
Socks high enough to tuck pants legs into, then boots tall enough to cover the overlapping area.

If I expect problems, a turn of duct tape over the pants-boot junction.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »
I dropped a frame full of bees within a couple of weeks of getting my first hive and the bees stung the he double l out of my ankle. I don't think I have had that happen since even though I have dropped comb several times but no stones.
As mentioned, I suspect you are doing something to put a lot of bees in the ground. Find out what it is and change that. Also are you working from the front of the hives?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 05:47:02 pm »
I wear oil tanned boots all the time.  Beekeeping or not.  If I would rubber band my pant legs I'd probably never get stung other than on the fingers when catching queens...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:43 am »
Are steel caps worthwhile for beekeeping?

On the other forum I have been accused of just kicking the hives and walking away.  They would be good for that.  LOL

I wear crocks all year long.  If I go deep into a hive I do wear jeans and put my socks over them and smoke.  So far I haven't been stung on the ankle or had a bee crawl up my leg.  The biggest problem I have had with crocks is in the spring when the ground is wet and muddy it can suck the shoe off and then I step right in the cold mud.  No problem putting the shoe back on with out the use of my hands though.

I stand frames on the ground and lay them up against the hive.  If you are in the hive during flying weather I can't see what is wrong with this.  They don't crawl if they can fly.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline kenner

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:10:17 pm »
I wear tennis shoes, or rubber duckies... I just make sure to have heavy, wool socks, which come up over my heavy, white sweat pants.  No problems.

The serious bees come straight for my face and sit on my veil, of my heavily cushioned coat.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:30:15 pm »
I wear a pair of tall black rubber boots and tug the bee suit leg end into the boot creating a
tight seal because the suit is a large size.    If the weather is still cold I'll wear thicker socks for a tighter fit.  No gap so that the bees cannot crawl inside.
You don't need to wear the steel toe boots unless you're carrying the bee boxes all day long.  No accident so far as my apiary is pretty much stationary through out the season.  So wear long boots and tug the legs inside for a snug fit.

anything