Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehive moving device  (Read 2368 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Beehive moving device
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
I'm needing to move a heavy, four deep beehive, from one side of a property to the other. There's scrub, and sand pits in between and I can't park my car too close to it due to trees in the way.

I'm realising that it'd be quite useful for me to have some sort of tool that I can use to move these hives around. How effective are sack trucks in moving beehives? Do they tend to topple over at all?

All the sack trucks I've seen have been quite pricey. I don't wish to spend much money on something I'd sparingly use. I figure it'd be best to build something, if only I could find suitable wheels, and maybe some cheap metal as well. I've wondered about using wheels from a garbage bin.

What do you guys use to move beehives around?

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Re: Beehive moving device
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:59 pm »
Forks for the bucket of the tractor and hives on pallets is the easiest way for me. I would say you want to use ratchet straps to hold the boxes to the pallet. Otherwise if you hit a bump you will have a major mess and an all around bad day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:35:12 am »
What do you guys use to move beehives around?

As far as possible, I don't - seeing as bees navigate to fixed locations.  But if I do, then I break vertical hives down to two boxes or less, strap them together, strap those boxes onto a sack truck - do the move, then rebuild.

I use a slightly modified sack truck, fitted with the same kind of inflatable tyres as used on builders wheelbarrows - medium inflation pressure to help 'iron out' the bumps a little - and pulled backwards.  For success, so much depends on how pitted the ground is.  The larger the wheel diameter, the wider the wheelbase, and the softer the tyres, the better.

Horizontal hives are bl##dy awkward to move.  If they must be moved, then I usually transfer the colonies into standard boxes - then move the empty long hive, then re-install at the new location. In practice, such hives tend to either 'stay put' or are moved as and when they become empty.

I think you're quite right in wanting to have a 'handy tool' around the place, but not wanting to build something that'll only collect dust for much of it's life.

Some offerings from Mann-Lake and Walter Kelly:

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:03 am »
The best tool to use is a friend.  Knock it down and carry it out with a simple hive lift or stretcher boards.  "Sack" trucks will get buried in the sand.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »
I also have one of these:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hive-Carrier

But have never used it because it takes two people and I hardly every have two people.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin