Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing equipment in truck box  (Read 2536 times)

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
Storing equipment in truck box
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:00:10 am »
I'm new to bee keeping this year - and new to a lot of farmy stuff over the last couple years. I'm looking at tool boxes for my farm truck, and was really set on one of the nice looking matte black powder coated ones over the chromed aluminum ones - more inconspicuous.

My plan was to keep the trailer hitch, ratchet straps, all the usual truck stuff in there, and then probably an extra veil, tool, smoker, and a deep box for catching swarms. Does anyone else store this sort of stuff in a truck box? I'm a bit worried that its going to get too hot and turn any frames in the deep into a pool of wax. Anyone have any experience?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Storing equipment in truck box
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:51:14 am »
Questions similar to this. It would sure be nice if you put your location in. You can do this permanently by putting it under your avatar or name to the left you can find it in settings. In some parts of the USA this would be no problem in the summertime. In other parts it would be a big concern.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134. :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:55:41 am »
No matter where you are, that black box is going to be hot inside.  Leave the foundation out for sure.  But I echo Jim's advice about location.  If you're on a phone you may not be able to edit your profile.  Get on a computer and edit it, in that case.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:19 am »
Location added (Richmond, VA - USA)  - and sorry about that - it always drives me nuts on forums when people don't list their location.

Alright, thanks - lets say the black is out - anyone have any problems moving swarm traps, etc in crossover truck tool boxes (standard aluminum diamond plate)? I just want to have a 'on the go' kit ready.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:28 pm »
Crazytalk,
I have my tools in a chrome diamond surface tool box all the time. The swarm bucket and nuc are in the open bed of the truck. I have found that the plastic lighters seem to go dry when I leave them in the upper trays (probably too hot there) so now I just put them in the bottom of the box.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:28:31 pm »
I mounted the diamond plate one. I added  a screen section in the bottom with grill over it and two  shed vents on front and back. Keeps things dry and cool. I keep a swarm box tied to it.

John

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:31:18 am »
sawdstmakr - do you have one of the deep ones, or one of the normal height? (20" deep vs 12") - I'd guess the bottom of the deep one would be cooler.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 02:07:12 pm »
sawdstmakr - do you have one of the deep ones, or one of the normal height? (20" deep vs 12") - I'd guess the bottom of the deep one would be cooler.
I have a deep tool box. It also has cut up jeans, ratchet straps, coveralls, bee suits and a lot of other stuff to keep the heat of the items in the bottom.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything