Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Heater  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Honey Heater
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
I was sick of my honey going solid during the winter - not so much the cold weather but the variety coming in easily crystalizes when cool.  So I decided to make a honey warmer.  I acquired at no cost an old defunct chest freezer - took out the compressor  and fitted a light socket and a digital thermostat ($12 on eBay) a wire shelf to support the stock.  Last thing to add when it arrives will be a computer cooling fan that will come on with the light and circulate the air. A 60 watt globe took 10 minutes to get the temperature up to 40*c and the digital thermostat holds it between 30 and 40.  As it will live under the house on bear dirt until I can get the area concreted I scavenged a plastic pallet from the local hardware rubbish skip to stand it on.  Bit smaller than I wanted but it will hold a 30kg bucket and a number of smaller ones.

The photos show the unit, inside with the light on, the digital thermostat, the wiring (not pretty but functional and safe)
David L

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
Re: Honey Heater
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
Nice work.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:07:29 am »
Looking good. Wish I could find a junk chest freezer for cheap, the power company has a 50 buck rebate for electrical appliances here. I just can't see giving somebody that for something that i got to tear apart and put back together.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »
Looking good. Wish I could find a junk chest freezer for cheap, the power company has a 50 buck rebate for electrical appliances here. I just can't see giving somebody that for something that i got to tear apart and put back together.

This was a working "proof of concept" project - if I ever develop a wax moth problem I will look at converting a working freezer to be duel purpose - warm honey and freeze wax moth eggs and lava before feeding back to the bees to clean up
David L

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:48 pm »
Nice work Wombat2.   

rw I haul off a little scrap iron once in a while.  I have had two chest type and one side by side given to me to haul them off.  Brought them home and got all three running.  Sold the side by side and kept the two chest freezers.

Good luck to you and your bees

Joe D

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:29 pm »
Nice. I have something similar that is almost falling apart after years of use. I love mine. I was just thinking of building version 2.0 and a digital thermostat is just what it needs!

Thanks for sharing.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:25:44 am »
Honey run sells a real nice controller. That I use in mine +- 2  degrees I think.
My-smokepole

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:50 pm »
Colobee,
Every hot water heater has the perfect thermostat for this purpose, actually 2 of them on the large units. Just keep an eye out for a hot water heater out at the curb, being thrown away.
If you are desperate and do not have time to wait, most hardware stores sell them. They are very accurate. I have 2 in my honey heater. One is set to 104 degrees and the other is set to 155 degrees for melting wax. Just run the power to a dual 110 house switch (the ones that use a standard outlet cover) and then run one wire from one switch to one thermostat and a wire from the other switch to the other thermostat. Both wires from the thermostats go to the light bulb. For 155 degrees you will need at least a 150 watt light bulb. A 75 watt light bulb will work if you only make a 104 degree heater.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:26:30 pm »
Personally, I would wire the fan to stay on so that the air is circulating all the time.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Colobee,
Every hot water heater has the perfect thermostat for this purpose, actually 2 of them on the large units. Just keep an eye out for a hot water heater out at the curb, being thrown away.

Thanks, Jim. I think I'm all set.

I have a half dozen base board heat controllers - probably enough to last a couple more beekeeping lifetimes. We demo'd a house with electric baseboard heat a long time ago and I knew where those puppies were heading as soon as we pulled them :smile: The first one has lasted ~25+ years.

They are at least equally as simple - 4 posts - 2 for power in, & 2 for thermostatically controlled power to the light sockets. New ones are also readily available, and pretty cheap.

'Appreciate the thought!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:42:36 pm by Colobee »
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:20:58 pm »
I have a refrigerator that my neighbor gave me. His wife wanted a new one. I use it in the basement for produce in the summer. And when the honey is starting to crystallize I empty it out and pull the plug on it. I have a porcelain light socket screwed down to a board. I set it on the bottom of the fridge and screw in a 40 watt bulb, I run the cord out thru the side of the door with the hinges and plug it in. I can set 3/5 gallon buckets in there or probably 5 cases of jars. The light stays on all the time but wont overheat the honey. I had a 75 watt in one and in 2 days it gt pretty warm. Too hot for me.   The wattage changes the temp. You just have to regulate it. Harold

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 12:30:21 am »
I know this is an old post, but it's relevant.  I have an old electric smoker I am thinking of converting to a honey warmer/wax melter.  The thermostat still works, but the chip holder rusted out. 

Do you think this would work or will I need to modify it in any way?  Do you think it would need a fan? 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 05:47:56 am »
Can you post a picture of it?
I would think you will need to insulate it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin