Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of dimensional lumber for deeps  (Read 10404 times)

Offline kayaks

• New Bee
    • Alpine Garden and Hearth
Use of dimensional lumber for deeps
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:55 pm »
All,

I searched the forums, but the answer to this question didn't jump out at me.

I'm planning to build some deeps and see the height listed in various plans as 9 5/8 inches. Dimensional 1"x10" lumber is 9 1/2 inches wide. My question is if that 1/8 of an inch matters? I saw one site that recommended ripping 1"x12"s down to the required height.

That seems a huge waste for an 1/8 of an inch.

Ideas? Thanks...

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Use of dimensional lumber for deeps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:36:45 pm »
I don't know where you are getting your lumber but 1x10's in these parts are actually 9 1/4 inches wide. 

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:12:02 pm »
I just use rough cut 1x10s. They are cheap and I don't have to cut them. The extra thickness also helps in the winter. If I want to get real fancy, I can use the tongue and groove router bits and make the boxes lock together... I think this might cause other issues. My father likes to talk about frames propolised to the box above and the girls were not happy when they broke free and dropped back down.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:13 pm »
A 1x10 originally were rough cut and sold as 1x10 then they planed a finish and have slowly shrunk in size. Hench the 9 5/8". When I was a young lad they were 9 1/2". Now here they are between 9 1/4 and 9 3/8. It depends on where the wood was made.
What is important is maintaining bees space between the boxes. If you are like most of us beeks that can make our own equipment, it is not worth making your own frames. Like commercial supers, the frames come in different dimensions. Get a hold of the frames you will be using and check your measurements.
I normally see 1/4" space above the frames and 1/8" below the frames to give 3/8" space between the frames between supers.
Bee space is from 1/4" to 3/8" in the interior space. Below the bottom frames they will allow for a larger area.
If you are going to make your own frames, just adjust them to match your supers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:38:13 pm »
I like to rip the 1x12 and use the scrap for cleat hand-hold.

Offline kayaks

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I went out and measured one of the commercial deeps and it was actually a full 9 11/16 inches high. Guess I will go with the 1"x12".

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
I like to rip the 1x12 and use the scrap for cleat hand-hold.

+1

I butt the ends using blind dowels, clamps and Tightbond II, so I only need six feet of board.  No nails or screws to rust, no box joints to catch water, crack, and separate.  But I only have two hives to support and they are in my backyard.

:cool:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:00:47 pm by Sundog »

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:08:43 pm »
In this part of the country a 1x10 is unheard of anymore.
I take a 1x12 which is actually a 3/4 x 11 1/2 inch
I rip them to 9 5/8 x however long the board needs to be.
I either use a rabbet joint or box joints.
I can cut either at about the same speed.
I cut box joints 8 boards at a time.
I using box joints be careful of the thickness of the board.
Depending on where it was milled or planned it can be either 3/4 or 13/16 inch which will make a difference on how the box joints match.
Using rabbet joints I cut my short boards 16 1/4 inches long and cut a 3/4 rabbet on each end.
I cut my long board 19 1/8 inches long so when you put the ends on it makes the box 19 7/8 inches long.
Using box joints I cut the short boards 16 1/4 inches long and the long board 19 7/8 inches long.
I never use butt joints.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline kayaks

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:33 pm »
Just an update. Bought some 1"x12"s and ripped them. Built a box joint jig and made a few new boxes. Only issue at this point is trying to figure out a way to prevent the dado blade from tearing out so much. Tried masking tape and a slow feed speed, but still don't like the amount of splintering. Maybe the blade isn't the best.

Thanks for all the input.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:02:25 am »
Just an update. Bought some 1"x12"s and ripped them. Built a box joint jig and made a few new boxes. Only issue at this point is trying to figure out a way to prevent the dado blade from tearing out so much. Tried masking tape and a slow feed speed, but still don't like the amount of splintering. Maybe the blade isn't the best.

Thanks for all the input.
Kayaks,
The reason that you have too much tear out is probably due to your jig was at one point cut deeper than the cut you are now using. In my home made jig, I have a replaceable thin board insert that I can change when ever I need to reduce the size of the slot being cut.
If there is nothing behind the area around the area being cut, it will tear out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:43 am »
I have not done this yet but I am about to buy a dovetail jig for my router. Has anybody tried dovetail joints? If so would you recommend blind dovetail joints? Which direction would you recommend sliding them together? I would think the face of the frame side would be the blind side if your doing blind joints.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 08:09:08 am »
I have made dovetail joints but never for beehives. You could make either side the blind side. It would just be your personal preference.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 10:16:57 am »
I have not done this yet but I am about to buy a dovetail jig for my router. Has anybody tried dovetail joints? If so would you recommend blind dovetail joints? Which direction would you recommend sliding them together? I would think the face of the frame side would be the blind side if your doing blind joints.

dovetail
http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 07:24:55 am »
Jim,
Something went wrong with that link. Maybe you could re post it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 09:44:26 pm »
Jim,
Something went wrong with that link. Maybe you could re post it.
Jim
OK so it wasn't just me that had trouble with the link. The reason I asked about blind dovetails and which way is best is because of strength regarding prying frames that have been propolized to hive bodies. I doubt I would use blind dovetails I mentioned it more for reference sliding parts together. But just writing this post made me think blind dovetails might be better keeping the water out.

Offline kayaks

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 07:57:20 pm »
The reason that you have too much tear out is probably due to your jig was at one point cut deeper than the cut you are now using...

I see your point. The fence on my jig would need to be put on the other side to accomplish what you are suggesting. Worth a try changing it. 

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 12:11:46 pm »
I'm new at both beekeeping and woodwork, so please bear that in mind.
To make some medium bodies I purchased three 1" x 8" x  8' boards, at a cost of about $9 each.
Despite them being sold as premium grade I would put them in the firewood class, because that's about all they could be used for. Full of knots and about as straight as a dogs back leg. I did manage to make some usable bodies of of them though, but due to the waste from trimming them from 7 1/2" to 6 5/8" I looked at alternatives.
My local big box had a good selection of 1" x 4" x 8' boards with very few knots at about $2 each.
Cut the boards to length plus an extra 1" for trimming. Ran the edge of two boards  through my budget router table with a 1/4" slot cutting bit set at 3/8" deep. Cut a strip of 1/4" lujan plywood to a width of  5/8" and used it as a spline. Used a quality exterior glue, clamped it up.
When dry trued it up and trimmed to length to give a 7" wide board for less than half the price of a 1" x 8"
Add a third board and you will get a width of 10 1/2", perfect for a deep.
http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Article/Adding-Biscuits-and-Splines-7590.aspx
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 02:39:09 pm »
To make some medium bodies I purchased three 1" x 8" x  8' boards, at a cost of about $9 each.

Ok... If you only have 1 or 2 hives and that is all you ever want then by all means make them gorgeous. If you have any plans to grow your apiary and get lots of hives then cheap lumber is important. That is why I use rough cut. I get a 1"X10"X8' for $4.33 http://www.sawbiz.com/dimensional-lumber.html (The price went up since I last bought some it used to be $4.00) Yes, it's not planed down to a nice smooth finish. Oh darn... The bees don't care. It is a full 1" thick! In the winter... especially last winter around here they need all the insulation they can get! Perhaps I am just lucky that I live near a sawmill but $9 for a 1"X8"X8' seems very steep to me, especially if it is planed down to 3/4" X 7.5" X 8'.

There is always personal preference. But for my money, functionality is much more important than looks. More expensive lumber will not be any more functional than cheap rough cut lumber for bee hives. If I was making something that had a beauty requirement then by all means I would buy nice pretty wood. For beehives, that isn't a requirement. As long as the bees are happy and I can easily get honey, wax, and propolis from them then money is all that matters. As long as there is a nectar flow the bees will be happy in just about anything.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »
To keep a box joint from tearing out you need what I call a blow out board.
I cut 8 boards at a time and have a 1/2 inch thick board clamped to my other 8 boards.
The final product is smooth cuts.
I use the flipper system jig for cutting my box joints.
In less than 10 minutes I can cut enough box joints to build 4 boxes.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:36 pm »

Ok... If you only have 1 or 2 hives and that is all you ever want then by all means make them gorgeous. If you have any plans to grow your apiary and get lots of hives then cheap lumber is important. That is why I use rough cut. I get a 1"X10"X8' for $4.33 http://www.sawbiz.com/dimensional-lumber.html (The price went up since I last bought some it used to be $4.00) Yes, it's not planed down to a nice smooth finish. Oh darn... The bees don't care. It is a full 1" thick! In the winter... especially last winter around here they need all the insulation they can get! Perhaps I am just lucky that I live near a sawmill but $9 for a 1"X8"X8' seems very steep to me, especially if it is planed down to 3/4" X 7.5" X 8'.

There's not many trees in southern New Mexico, so you only have what the big box stores sell and the cost of shipping the timber from the company you suggested would be about one arm and one leg.
If they could make boards out of tumbleweeds we would corner the timber market :cheesy:
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

anything