Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee hives are done  (Read 4621 times)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
Bee hives are done
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:48:09 pm »
I finally finished my bee hives today. 24 boxes with outer cover,inner cover, 2.5" spacers for feeding and IMP bottom boards. Along with about 260 frames (Some are extras in case they are needed). All mediums. Although I have to take maybe 5 boxes and set them up as swarm traps. :wink:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: Bee hives are done
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »
Good for you, wish I could say the same thing lol! I've got 10 deeps and a 100 frames to put together, too bloody cold up here yet. I can get the pole barn warm enough to work, but I don't trust the glue to set right.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:00 pm »
The cold is what made it slow going for me. My shop is unheated and the cold just hurts this old fart too much to put up with it.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:14 pm »
I bought a used torpedo heater and bought some propane.  Made live worth living.  (In the pole barn).

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:44:23 pm »
If at all possible next winter I will have some form of heat in the shop. But then I only work in there during the winter if I NEED to. Unfortunately it seems like every winter something comes up where I have to go in there and do something that needs tending to. :angry:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 11:49:58 pm »
Why don't you try to reduce the work area with plastic?  It only needs to last the winter.  Reusable every year.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 11:53:41 pm »
I hadn't thought of that. Will have to try it and see how it works.

Thanks!
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:37 am »
Good for you, wish I could say the same thing lol! I've got 10 deeps and a 100 frames to put together, too bloody cold up here yet. I can get the pole barn warm enough to work, but I don't trust the glue to set right.

I just had a thought.(it hurt too)
My wife messed up her coffee maker. The heating element works but it wont perk it up through the little hose to the coffee grounds.  ( She kept putting already brewed coffee in the water tank.She has dementia) So I went bought a cheap $9 coffee maker to replace the other one.

Anyway, I can use the old coffee maker as a warmer for the glue bottle as long has I don't put it too close to the heat. Just want to keep it warm not hot. If you can find something with a heating element it may work. Just put the glue bottle several inches above the burner on some sort of stand.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 02:30:16 pm »
You'd be better off putting it in an inside pant or jacket pocket.  Let your body warm it.
If you must use the burner put in in a pan of water.  Let the water heat in the pan and then drop the bottle of wood glue in.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 02:49:41 pm »
You'd be better off putting it in an inside pant or jacket pocket.  Let your body warm it.
If you must use the burner put in in a pan of water.  Let the water heat in the pan and then drop the bottle of wood glue in.

I like the heated water idea.
I knew there was a reason I hang around you guys. :cheesy:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »
I understand what you're going thru with the cold shop.
I was laid up after surgery in September and then got infected and had to stay out of the shop until just 2 weeks ago.
I have built 20 ten frame langstroth hives (Bottoms, deep boxes, inner covers and telescoping tops) and 75 five frame Nuc boxes.
Now I've got to start painting.
I buy my frames for I can buy them cheaper than I can build them.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 02:10:28 am »
I used my cheap Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun to paint mine. It worked out great and was alot faster then a brush or roller.
I need to build some nucs. I don't plan on ever having more than 5 or 6 hives but I would like to use them to have some Queens on hand if I need.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 05:57:15 am »
I'm glad I live in New Hampshire where it's warm hahaha

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:04 am »
Man am I ever glad winter is almost over down here. Finally able to go outside in the AM in T-shirt. Suppose to get in the low 70's today.

I heard about a guy about 5 miles up the road that has an old house that has a hive in it. He is looking for someone to remove the Bees. Can't seem to get in touch with of even find out the mans name. Its a sort of s friend of a friend said this. I'll probably drive over there and ask around to see if I can track him down.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

anything