Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Portable crane for lifting full supers  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Portable crane for lifting full supers
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:16 am »
Just to give some ideas on how to lift full supers - all pieces slide together to provide double the length. The base unit has 450mm feet that are extended out to 1 meter with the slide on extensions. The center core is 1 meter and extends the height to 2 meters when the lifting section is added - this also rotates 360*  The clamp is welded to a short round section that slides up the outside of the base unit to clap the whole thing firm to the hive stand rail.

If you have multiple locations that are permanent then the base could be done away with and a hole drilled between the hives at a midpoint - add a tube to take the crane jib - fill with concrete around the tube and all that is need is to cover the hole between use - remove cover and drop the crane jib in to use  - length of upright would need to be increased to allow in ground section 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:15:35 am by Wombat2 »
David L

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Portable crane for lifting full supers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:53:10 am »
Thanks Mate. I've been toying around with different ideas.  You just gave me some more. That looks like a commercially available unit. Does it have any trouble lifting complete hives, say 6 mediums full of honey and brood?
Later,
Ray

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:26 am »
Commercial in that the old beek will make to order. Might struggle to lift more than one full deep especially lowering without ratchet engaged on handle. It might handle 2 mediums but the length of the hook that goes over the box would have to suit.

Better arrangement is in his powered unit on his truck. This lifts 2 full deeps with ease (winch rated at 2500kg)
So only limited by height and stability of load while lifting - up and down button on handle on hook

http://youtu.be/ZRcK3FxGGbY
David L

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
  :-D I'm an old beekeeper too. I'm wanting to focus my design on mobility.  Say a cross between the unit you have and an engine hoist with terra tires. Made of aluminum to conserve weight. My design is still on the drawing board.
Later,
Ray

Offline AlanB

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:14:27 pm »
How much does this portable crane cost?

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »
Sorry to take so long to reply - just picked up the question.

The one in the photos can be ordered from the old beek for $AU600

I'm just on finishing mine which is a bit heavier  slightly different design ( in the base area) materials around $90 (some secondhand scrap) $50 of bits and pieces (bolts, shackles cable), a free gift of a hand boat winch worth about $100 welding materials and time ( about 3 weekends)
David L