Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Migratory Cover Plans  (Read 4849 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Migratory Cover Plans
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »
I know migratory covers are dead simple, but do people use plywood?  If so, how do you prevent them warping in the direction that isn't held by the front and rear boards?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Migratory Cover Plans
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »
I use plywood.  I use no cleats, they are the size of the box.  They warp.  I put bricks on them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Migratory Cover Plans
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:55:37 pm »
Mine are plywood and have a 14" slice of scrap 1 by X  all the way around giving me room for a pollen pattie and the bees a place to build burr comb.  Across the ends I have a 3/8" slice of scrap 2 by X.  I use four small nails into the top box or bricks to hold them down.  I cut little parallelograms out of the rim and have a nail in the center that allows them to pivot out and become a top entrance for the bees.  PM me and I will send you a picture if you give me an email address.  I am not smart enough to post pictures if you are interested.  I always think I need a better cover but I always just keep making these.  Cheap and easy.