Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic Frame SHB hiddy holes  (Read 3270 times)

Offline mlw

• Brood
Plastic Frame SHB hiddy holes
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:10 pm »
What can be used to fill the openings in the plastic frames that the beetles hide in?

What about silicone or plastic wood filler?

Thanks in advance,

Merle
Too much sawdust, too many cutoffs, not enough honey bees.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Plastic Frame SHB hiddy holes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »
Wood frames and wax foundation.   :evil:   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:50:33 am »
      IMHO..
   Cut the foundation out of the plastic and put a wooden frame around it

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:12:52 am »
No love for the plastic  :(
If your hive is strong and shb isn't a problem. Do nothing. The bees can trap the shb in those holes and should propolize them closed.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:06:18 pm »
No love for the plastic  :(
If your hive is strong and shb isn't a problem. Do nothing. The bees can trap the shb in those holes and should propolize them closed.
Hjon,
Serious question. Have you ever seen a SHB propolized in a cavity. I watch my bees in an OH and have never seen them seal a single SHB. I wish it were true and I was expecting it. I do not have any right now but I have seen cells filled with SHB and they never seal up the cell.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »
MLW,
I never buy the all in one plastic frames just because of the slots in the frames. I do use plasticicell foundation and it works very well if you use all plastic in any individual super. When it is all they have, they build on it very well and 99% of the time very neat. The only problem I have with it is that it is 5.4 MM instaed of 4.9 MM which is what I want in the brood box.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:41:45 pm »
Hjon,
Serious question. Have you ever seen a SHB propolized in a cavity. I watch my bees in an OH and have never seen them seal a single SHB. I wish it were true and I was expecting it. I do not have any right now but I have seen cells filled with SHB and they never seal up the cell.
Jim

I have seen a shb stuck in propolis. If it got stuck crawling around or the bees did it on purpose I do not know. I had read they would do that though(maybe here). I ordered a dozen of these frames when I first started before reading about doing foundationless. And some of the holes did get filled by the bees. 
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:14:34 am »
Hjon,
Jim

I have seen a shb stuck in propolis. If it got stuck crawling around or the bees did it on purpose I do not know. I had read they would do that though(maybe here). I ordered a dozen of these frames when I first started before reading about doing foundationless. And some of the holes did get filled by the bees. 

Jon,
Thanks.
The picture I have see are the slots full of SHBs. That is why I have never owned one.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything