Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gluing house wrap  (Read 2993 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Gluing house wrap
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:08:31 pm »
So I’m thinking about adding some exterior protection to my XPS foam hives due to some raccoon problems.  Does anybody know what kind of glues/paint might stick to house wraps like Tyvek?   

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
Re: Gluing house wrap
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28:27 pm »
Usually a red tape is used.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46:45 pm »
check out a company like Glue Products down here. but closer to home

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:15 pm »
The tape is a good idea for a wrap that will be covered with siding, however I'm thinking of using the house wrap itself for the siding!  So I need some UV protection and I need some way to keep it from blowing off my XPS foam in years to come.  I could imagine the tape lasting 1 year in Michigan's weather but I can't imagine much longer than that :-D  

I suspect any exterior paint will give the stuff the needed UV protection, but I haven't stumbled on a great way to make it stick to foam yet.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:19:12 am »
Years ago a neighbour's boys built a cabin. To cover the roof they got some cotton canvas and painted it. It lasted many years.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:44:17 am »
Blue,
If you want to try using canvas, call one of your billboard sign advertisers. I talked to one down here years ago and he said they only use it once and throw it away. You might bee able to get it for free. The numbers usually on the billboard.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »
LOL, it’s amazing what people will use for a roof!  There’s a church or two around here that’s had a blue tarp over their roof for at least a few years now.  Maybe they’re getting some extra protection from above. :angel:  Why somebody doesn’t just spend a Saturday and slap on new shingles is beyond me.  It’s not that hard.

I figure a lot of materials would work for cladding, but I would like to avoid cellulose based stuff if possible.  The house wrap is plastic so I don’t really have to worry about it deteriorating as long as it’s protected from the UV.

Sawdust, I wondered what those bill boards were made of!  Maybe I could cover my foam with left over Obama stickers?

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:43 am »
Obama stickers Na they will abscond. they do not like payola.

Foil air conditioning tape is your best bet.

anything