Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I learned something after Sunday nights tornado.  (Read 4019 times)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
I learned something after Sunday nights tornado.
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:19:28 am »
Sunday night here in Central Arkansas we had an EF3 tornado that killed several folks.
But I had 11 beehives and several NUCS scattered to all over a pasture.
The land owner of one of my beeyards lost his barn and a few cows.
One of my Nucs was found 1/4 mile away.
I am putting ratchet tie down straps on all my hives and Nucs from now on.
At least they'll be in one piece instead of being scattered all over the place.
I don't know if the bees will survive or not, they got thrown around, hailed on, rained on and spent the night open in a cow pasture.
The tornado missed my place by 1/4 mile.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: I learned something after Sunday nights tornado.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:39 am »
Sorry to hear Capt. Glad you're okay and no heavy damage.
Some lessons are hard, but if something is learned, the next time around will be different.
Hope your bees come back strong, despite the tossing around. What a ride!
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:16:52 am »
Bees are pretty resilient. If any of the cluster stuck together you should be okay. Glad you got through it,and thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by these violent storms.

On a brighter note,there may be more bee trees around in the aftermath with bent and broken open trunks.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:09 am »
 :th_thumbsupup: on the ratchet straps capt. Been using them here for the last 5 years.
Glad your alright! Bees can be replaced.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:07 am »
Glad you're ok Capt.  

Sending love and warmth and dryness to you and your area!

love,
ziffa

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:53 pm »
Glad you're OK capt.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:49 am »
Glad your OK.  Don't know if straps will help in case of a tornado though.  I have seen several brick homes that are now just a slab.  Good luck

Joe

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:21:42 am »
Glad your OK.  Don't know if straps will help in case of a tornado though.  I have seen several brick homes that are now just a slab.  Good luck
Joe
Seriously!!!! I had no idea. I'm from Canada and except for a few minor tornadoes in Southern Ontario they are not a problem. I would have figured that brick would be safe.

Before I retired I would visit a facility in Wichita KS and since it was brick I figured we were good to go. Maybe the method of construction is key.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:48 am »
At least with the straps they stay together when turned over. Much better protection than a rock!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:07 am »
Joe
Seriously!!!! I had no idea. I'm from Canada and except for a few minor tornadoes in Southern Ontario they are not a problem. I would have figured that brick would be safe.

Before I retired I would visit a facility in Wichita KS and since it was brick I figured we were good to go. Maybe the method of construction is key.

It's not just the wind in a tornado that gets you. The debris that it picks up acts like a huge grinder. Nothing much that's man made can stand up to one. The only place safe is under ground.

Capt, Sorry to hear that you took a hit. I feel for anyone who goes through that kind of an event. We don't see many tornadoes here our nemesis is the hurricane. I've been thinking about how to prep for one. Straps on each hive and screw anchor tiedowns might work, I don't know. After going through Hugo I'm not sure if there's any sure methods.
Glad you made it without loss of health and home.
Ray
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:52 am »
Glad you are OK Capt. I have straps on most of mine to slowdown the bears. I doubt that they would have helped much if the hives were thrown through the air.
We had a small, 20' wide, tornado cut a brick house in half 2 miles from my farm. The husband and wife were sitting in their living room. Heard the back wall coming apart, they both turned and went through doors behind them and closed the doors. After it passed, they both opened the doors to find the room they were siting in completely gone. The material was thrown over a thousand feet. Only the floor remained in that room. One half of the house did not have to be replaced, the other side was shaken enough that they had to tear it down.
Talk about 2 lucky people to be alive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin