Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New pigs and pen  (Read 7625 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: New pigs and pen
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 04:57:29 pm »
Very nice! I do all my own butchering. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it - on several levels. Very nice!
thanks,  it is a lot of work. But my wife and I  touched it all and know every piece and that is definitely worth it. Wish I had the room to do a steer but 250 is my limit for cooling down. I will hope to get a deer soon this season and our meat will be done for the year.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 02:35:53 am »
Very nice! I do all my own butchering. It's a lot of work, but definitely worth it - on several levels. Very nice!
thanks,  it is a lot of work. But my wife and I  touched it all and know every piece and that is definitely worth it. Wish I had the room to do a steer but 250 is my limit for cooling down. I will hope to get a deer soon this season and our meat will be done for the year.

When I was a boy we did it a large variety. Pigs, calf, chickens, garden. fruit trees, YUM  only thing ,no bees.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 10:54:38 am »

When I was a boy we did it a large variety. Pigs, calf, chickens, garden. fruit trees, YUM  only thing ,no bees.

Thats so awesome Phillip. I have to say - adding the Bees has been a really amazing experience. It's almost as if they filled a previously unknown void in the equation - at our house.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 04:29:14 am »

Thats so awesome Phillip. I have to say - adding the Bees has been a really amazing experience. It's almost as if they filled a previously unknown void in the equation - at our house.

Yes, I wish we had, had honey back then also. One thing that we did have, was sorghum molasses!! I mean the real deal! There was a family who had passed the tradition of this sorghum art to its family members,  since before the Cilvil War Days, and brother it was good!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 11:04:27 am »
My family still has farm in P.A. spent the summers there with my uncles it was hard work. My wife has always had there own pigs and chickens, she had a uncle with a orchard that had bees but that was years ago. I want my kids to have some other knowledge and if this can instill a little with tasing our own meat and hunting and fishing then it is worth every min of time.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 01:27:51 pm »
Phillip - I grew up in cold country, Tapping Maple trees and making Maple Syrup. Mmmm! I have a good friend who grew up in Florida - he swears by sugar cane syrup. All of these are wonderful things! ... I'd love to try your Molasses some day.  :grin:

Jtcmedic - I completely agree. Teaching the children, passing down the old ways, is the greatest investment of time anyone can make.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 07:00:20 pm »
Yes, I wish we had, had honey back then also. One thing that we did have, was sorghum molasses!! I mean the real deal! There was a family who had passed the tradition of this sorghum art to its family members,  since before the Cilvil War Days, and brother it was good!!
That is so cool, Phillip.  Sorghum molasses is a mountain tradition around here, although I've never personally had any.  Sorghum was the only real source of sugar for the mountain people back in the old days, other than honey of course.

Jtcmedic - I completely agree. Teaching the children, passing down the old ways, is the greatest investment of time anyone can make.
x2
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:15:41 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 10:50:07 am »
Nice job! I used to raise pastured pork. Berkshires and Berkshire/old spot crosses...they did well for us. 
Take a kid fishing !

anything