Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey bee strains...for Top-bar hives?!?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline SamG347

• Brood
Honey bee strains...for Top-bar hives?!?
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:53 pm »
I have been thinking about getting bees for almost a year now. I have finally decided that I'm going to build a Topbar hive or two. My question is what do you all find as a  good strain of bee for a Top-bar hive...also in a NE climate. I was thinking Italians.....as they seem to be common and a good overall bee. I want a gentle bee....a good honey producer....and winter well. I have heard Carniolan are good bees but tend to swarm more.
Any input is appreciated!
Thanks all!
 :)

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Re: Honey bee strains...for Top-bar hives?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:41:42 pm »
Best bet get a swarm , they are easy to hive and start gang buster !

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:23:22 am »
     Definitely a local swarm would be the best.  If you know any beeks in the area you may want to get with them and they may be able to help you out as well as maybe going on a cutout or two with them to help.  That's how I got my first hive AND I never expected it, I was along for the experience. 

Edited out rambling
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
If your in the NE, you definitely want to get local acclimatized as it will greatly improve your chances.  Or at least northern breed bees.  A swarm would be best,  with a local raised nuc next.

Please update your profile so that we know you location.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison