Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need a better way to remove cappings.  (Read 5012 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: I need a better way to remove cappings.
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 03:55:56 pm »
...since I don't filter I'm not worried about where the capping's go (they go in the honey jars).  ....

Just to clarify (since I'm still learning) - Filtering and Straining honey are 2 different things, right? ...

I use screens to strain the cappings out of the honey - 600 micron over 200 micron - seems to work for me. These screens mount on top of a 5 gallon (honey-gated) bucket. At first I used the fabric (plastic?) screens from Mannlake. I didn't think they'd last too long, and sometime during last winter they grew legs and left the property (common occurrence with my "in-laws" - no big deal) ... so I ordered, and used, Stainless Steel screens this year. I really like these because I can scrape capping's out of the way much easier without worrying.

(Total Sidetrack - I once found my Archery Bow Stand in an "in-laws" garden - it was holding 2 evening lamps! ... I grabbed it with a smile, right in front of them, and said "I've been wondering where that went". They just smiled back  :cheesy:)
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 05:40:01 pm »
...since I don't filter I'm not worried about where the capping's go (they go in the honey jars).  ....

Just to clarify (since I'm still learning) - Filtering and Straining honey are 2 different things, right? ...

I use screens to strain the cappings out of the honey - 600 micron over 200 micron - seems to work for me. These screens mount on top of a 5 gallon (honey-gated) bucket. At first I used the fabric (plastic?) screens from Mannlake. I didn't think they'd last too long, and sometime during last winter they grew legs and left the property (common occurrence with my "in-laws" - no big deal) ... so I ordered, and used, Stainless Steel screens this year. I really like these because I can scrape capping's out of the way much easier without worrying.

(Total Sidetrack - I once found my Archery Bow Stand in an "in-laws" garden - it was holding 2 evening lamps! ... I grabbed it with a smile, right in front of them, and said "I've been wondering where that went". They just smiled back  :cheesy:)

Allan I think that is the way it is. I don?t know this for a fact but I would think you are correct. Straining should not be considered the same as filtering In my opinion.
Phillip
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:55:25 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 06:34:10 pm »
It depends on who you talk to but filtering is usually done under high pressure and temperature. Straining is just removing wax and bee parts.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:08 am »
You can't filter without applying heat.  Both remove contents that make the honey raw.  Straining does not remove or kill enzymes unless you apply heat. 
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 01:54:51 am »
Stewart Spinks uses an electric un-capper which uses a long nylon bristle brush spinning at a high rate of speed that does a great job of removing caps. Check it out.
Phillip

https://youtu.be/lp5nqkFWo00
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »
Wow!  I?d love to find a smaller version of that
You are what you think.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »
I really like the motorized uncapping brush.
I would really like to bee able to make one.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 09:43:55 pm »
Me Two!!

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:10 pm »
Jim Altmiller
I'm wondering if lawn sweeper parts would be a good starting point.
Tom

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:02 pm »
Jim Altmiller
I'm wondering if lawn sweeper parts would be a good starting point.

I don't know but no doubt that this is derived form some type of sweeping system. I do not know of a lawn sweeper. You could very well be right. This may be a commercially made tool that Stewart uses, I did not ask him about this, or it could possibly be something that he made or had made. I am not familiar with a lot of the equipment end of things, yet. One thing is for sure, for a person with moderate set up this would be the trick in my opinion.
Phillip

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 12:02:37 am »
toro 12" power shovel. LOL
Toss those caps 20 feet.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/snow-removal-and-equipment/snow-blowers/75310?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06bPvu-I5AIVTz0MCh33dAUKEAQYASABEgJ22fD_BwE

Add a variable speed switch and you are good to go. Just do not forget your safety glasses. Too bad the auger is not food grade.
Tom

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 08:25:30 am »
Incognito,
I cannot get that site to load. Please try posting it again.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
Incognito, that is a good place to start but wouldn?t it be even better if the brush was wider , or at least as wide as the frame? I could not get it to pull up either but the link  reads 12 inches. You are on the right track by investigating. Keep up the good work.
Phillip

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 10:46:36 pm »
Incognito,
I cannot get that site to load. Please try posting it again.
Jim Altmiller

I was joking / brainstorming.
Do a search for a Toro power shovel 12 in. w single-stage electric start snow blower at Ace Hardware, Item no. 75310 | 38361

The one I had from decades ago had a plastic drum like auger, not the rubber one made today.
A deep frame is less than 12 inches tall.

Toro  Power Shovel  12 in. W Single-Stage  Electric Start  Snow Blower
Tom

anything