Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's going on here?  (Read 975 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
What's going on here?
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »
These bees are from a removal I did a few weeks ago. The bees are doing really well,  been rebuilding and making comb like crazy. I have had to give them more room twice already. Today I went into them and found this. This is a piece of old comb that was in the original hive (chicken house door)  with them. This is also the only piece of come like this. They seem to be chewing the brood out of it. The rest of the frames are fine. Lots of bees and lots of brood in all stages. What's goin on with this one?
Take a kid fishing !

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:28:41 am »
It could bee the frame was placed too close to another fat frame or they were diseased by something. If it is only a few cells they are doing this to, I would not worry about it.
There is a better chance the flow has stopped and there is a shortage of food so they are cutting back on the amount of food they are feeding. I was teaching at the Honey Bee Festival in Jacksonxille yesterday and a single frame observation hive was pulling out larvae and moving them all around the frame trying to get out of the hive. They had no food coming in and in one day they were stressed enough to start reducing the open larvae population.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 10:32:15 am »
Fish, what Jim said, plus maybe brood chill as this was part of the original removed comb.  Either way, only a small patch and rest of the hive is thriving.

So, lack of stores, as Jim text
Brood chill
Brood over heat
Only a small patch of brood is affected so I would rule out Disease or varroa.

Again, great close up pic.  Only a few cells in the pic but I see no varroa frass.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
I had to crop this pic down to size to post here. It is only this one frame, but there is quite a bit of it. Only this one frame though.  I did stop feeding all of a sudden. Would that do it?
Take a kid fishing !

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:32:21 am »
Yes, if there was no other food coming in.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:47:38 pm »
Thanks jim. Theres tons of pollen coming in but I dont think much nectar at all right now. When I put out sugar water they get on it like it's the only thing available.  Because it probably is.
Take a kid fishing !

anything