Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 107000 times)

salvo

Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #540 on: November 03, 2023, 06:29:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

Off with the robbing screens.

Scrape out the dead. Not much. We had mid/low 30's the past two nights. About 47 today. Hive in the woods, in the sun, out flying.

On with the mouse guards

Sal

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #541 on: November 21, 2023, 03:59:22 pm »
I made up some sugar balls for my bees this morning.  It's been so warm here that several of my colonies are starting to feel light already. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #542 on: December 03, 2023, 03:44:14 pm »
Found another dead colony today.  First time I've lost two colonies in one winter, but I do have double the hives I used to, so I guess it's really a constant percentage.  When I checked on this hive last time, I thought they were dead, but when cracked the lid there was a little cluster still in there.  But then we had some very cold weather, and I just think there wasn't enough population to keep warm.  I was surprised they looked so small because they went into winter really strong.  I think beetles were a contributing factor, which is a first for me.  There was a TON of dead beetles on the bottom board and crammed in the cells under the dead cluster of bees.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #543 on: December 04, 2023, 01:42:18 pm »
I've seen that scenario with the dead beetles more often than i would like to.  I think they target the weaker hives in the fall.  I also think that when they take over the brood nest area in the late fall, they prevent the bees from raising enough winter bees causing a rapid decline in population of bees in the winter.  The one bright note of the death of the hive is that there are hundreds if not thousands of shb's that you don't have to worry about come spring.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2023, 03:13:14 pm »
I think you are right cao, because like I said, they looked really good when I put them away for the winter.  The population declined very steeply. 

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #545 on: December 04, 2023, 09:26:04 pm »
Just finished alcohol wash tests on all hives. No evidence of varroa at this stage. Next testing period will be in 16 weeks. Hives at the home yard are very small due to a lack of nectar coming in. Looks as though they will head into winter with minimal honey stores. This type of nectar drought occurs every now and then due to the multi year cyclical nature of the flowering trees in my area.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #546 on: December 05, 2023, 10:35:39 pm »
Les I'm just curious; How many miles is it between you and the closest reported Varroa Destructor?

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2023, 12:56:12 am »
Hi Phillip,

The latest map shows the varroa about 160 miles away (in a straight line or as we say, as the crow flies) Max is about 280 miles away from his nearest cluster of varroa.  It won?t take long before it hits us. If left to move naturally, it could take a year or two. Human error could put it in our hives within weeks.

On another point, I was out testing out a metal detector to make sure that it was working before selling it. While I was out in the bush, I found a patch of leptospermum in flower (what you guys know as Manuka) Wish it was a bit closer to my bees as they are struggling a bit at the moment.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #548 on: December 09, 2023, 06:20:39 pm »
My neighbor's uncle came over today to give the girls an oxalic acid treatment. He has (had) two hives left out of five. The first hive looks like it's on the way out. It had very few bees in it and a bottom board with a lot of dead on it. The top super was still on and full of honey and they pulled it off. They gave the hive a dose of acid and a kiss goodbye and put it to bed with one super on it for food, expecting the worst. The second hive was flourishing with a lot of bees in it and they gave it a dose of acid and added the super from the other hive to carry it through the winter. They say they'll check back in a month or so and see how it's going. He just spritzed the stuff in measured amounts between the frames. I don't know if he did it right or not, I just observed and helped what I could.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #549 on: January 08, 2024, 02:06:30 pm »
I hefted my hives and checked their moisture quilts and tie-down straps since we are forecasted to have some serious wind tonight.  The hives that needed feed early on are eating much less now that it's cold out.  One cluster was camped on their sugar ball though, so I'll have to keep a close eye on them.  I didn't want to break their propolis seal today because of the wind.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #550 on: January 09, 2024, 09:45:58 am »
Been doing rounds of OAV few days back
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #551 on: January 09, 2024, 10:18:26 am »
Hi Austin,  I?ve missed you input lately.  It?s good seeing more of your good posts this morning!

Phillip

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #552 on: January 09, 2024, 02:35:56 pm »
Hi Austin,  I?ve missed you input lately.  It?s good seeing more of your good posts this morning!

Phillip

Thank you! Work and life have been a bit hectic lately. I've been missing the good discussions
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #553 on: February 03, 2024, 05:23:50 pm »
We're having a pretty warm weekend, so I checked all the hives today.  Only one needed their quilt changed, and they also needed a little more sugar.  I tried a new wintering setup on some of my hives this year, where I put an inner cover under the moisture quilt for some added insulation, and not a single one of those hives has needed feed, whereas only one of the hives without the inner cover hasn't needed feed yet. 

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #554 on: February 03, 2024, 07:49:00 pm »
I like that member, running some hives one way and some the other way to find that sweet spot of what works in a area. Took me to long to realize that, experimentation on management practices were an important part of keeping bees.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2024, 02:28:50 am »
Warm weather here also.  Technically not in my apiary but it is bee related.  I picked up a truckload of bee equipment from a retired commercial beekeeper.  I got 3-400 pcs(maybe more, haven't counted yet) of gently used deep plastic foundation, a pile of deep wood frames with many years of life left, 11 medium boxes w/frames and foundation, and a dry bee-pro pollen feeder. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/feeding-medications/dry-bee-pro-feeder/     All for $160.

This has been my second trip there.  And planning on going again to fill my truck with more deep frames.  There is two skids full that have my name on them. 

This guy at one time was running around 1000 hives.  There is a lot of equipment just sitting in the field.  I really don't need any of it, but I hate to see the stuff just sitting there rotting away.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #556 on: February 05, 2024, 12:59:06 pm »
This guy at one time was running around 1000 hives.  There is a lot of equipment just sitting in the field. I really don't need any of it, but I hate to see the stuff just sitting there rotting away.

Be a fun project using what wood is still salvageable to clean up and build some bookcases or other furniture from
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #557 on: February 07, 2024, 05:35:18 pm »
I SAW THE FIRST POLLEN PANTS OF THE YEAR!!  Well, I'm assuming it's real pollen, but it could also be that it's just warm enough that they were out and about and found some chicken feed dust.  :embarassed:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 06:44:00 pm by The15thMember »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #558 on: February 08, 2024, 05:04:24 pm »
Not exactly in the bee yard, but I started getting everything ready for the beekeeping season today.  I did my equipment inventory, which I was quite happy with, I really just need one or two extra bottom boards and tops.  And I did the chore of washing all my veils and my most-frequently used suit. 

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #559 on: February 09, 2024, 12:36:11 am »
I spent the last couple days scraping propolis off frames getting ready for waxing starter strips and plastic foundation.  About 20 boxes full.  Also assembled and painted another 6 nuc boxes.  These are 4 frame mediums.  Never too early to have equipment ready.